News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I'm not sure if I understand this one way or another.

Did this fellow start out as a Machine Gunner and then transfer to a Signal-Fernsprecher Abt or was he in a Fernsprecher Bn and attached to a MG Kompany? I came across another Soldbuch of a Fernsprecher in a MGK which was easy to see and understand. On this one, I see dates and some dates in the MG company are before any Fernsprecher Abt dates...........

Ed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111262865546?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Well, is it possible I can see there Fliegerabteilung 107? (bottom of the Soldbuch cover)

Morning Marcin......do you see anywhere where it says why he left the MGK and went into a Fernsprecher Abt? Volunteered out, kicked out, medical reclassified?

Ed

Hello Ed.

One possible clue is his civilian occupation which is listed as "Postschaffner" ( postal conductor). That I believe was an entry-level grade in the German Postal Service . Postal service also operated telephone and telegraph services in Germany and the signals branch of the army belatedly got this man and put him into a related occupation.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello Ed.

One possible clue is his civilian occupation which is listed as "Postschaffner" ( postal conductor). That I believe was an entry-level grade in the German Postal Service . Postal service also operated telephone and telegraph services in Germany and the signals branch of the army belatedly got this man and put him into a related occupation.

Bernhard H. Holst

Yes, I can see that happening. Thanks Bernhard.

Thats possible. Morse code is indeed a more difficult and longer training than MG.

I am guessing he was not kicked out, but rather they chose where he could do his most valuable contribuion.

and since he already knew Morse code, his transition would have been less. I notice that his time in the MGK was only a few months. He did train and qualify with both the MG08 and PO-8 Luger. Interesting documentation.

I was thinking about adding it to my Signal Abt display but I went for these instead:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380824954674&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160 I'll have to wait to see the entries.

It is worth pointing out that not everyone who had done MG training was the main man... for every Richtschutz there were half a dozen carriers... easily replacable, and worth less than a trained signaller.

Plainly speaking, MG Abts had a few extra expendable 'gofers'............ ;)

It is worth pointing out that not everyone who had done MG training was the main man... for every Richtschutz there were half a dozen carriers... easily replacable, and worth less than a trained signaller.

If these MGK had all these expendables who were easily replaced as you stated, why not just fill those positions with artillerymen????