Commemorative Medal of the Reign Leopold I

GM1

A start this new topic as I didn´t find any suitable for it:
A medal I found in my grandfather's belongings:
The Commemorative Medal of the Reign of King Leopold I, second class, established by Royal Decree of July 20th 1856.
This medal was awarded to NCO and soldiers who counted on July 21st 1856 with at least 25 years of active and uninterrupted service.
For the officers there was a Cross (1st Class), identical to the Civil Cross.
p1000410.jpg
p1000413.jpg
p1000411.jpg
Hope you enjoy this little treasure,
GM1

This decoration was instituted in 1856, while the civic decorations in 1867. According to Borné, only 1143 Crosses and 917 medals were awarded to the army and the guard-civique.

Best Regards,

GM1

According to Borné (if my French is not failing me :unsure: ) the ribbon is from between 30 July 1856 (it's creation) and 28 December 1859 (when they chaged the ribbon).

It's the official version of the ribbon and it should be 37 mm wide (Green: 1 mm / amaranth: 6 mm / green: 23 mm / amaranth: 6 / green: 1 mm).

The diameter of the medal should be 35 mm. (there are two drawnings of the medal in his book, with one bigger than the other, but I don't see a different diameter mentioned in the text. It could be 30 mm like the Civic decoration between 1867 and 1918 but it is not mentioned (also the civic decoration between 1867 and 1918 can have a diameter of 35 mm).

To anwser TacHel: There should be no difference (except the small difference between the manufacturer). In his chapter of the Civic Decorations, Borné refers to the decree of 30 July 1856 for the shape.

Vincent