News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Identification on what looks like ... handcuffs....?

Looks really strange, almost like a slave collar, but it would be too small if it is those dimensions (maybe baby slave collar?). Very unusual piece, I'm sorry I can't suggest any more options. It would need some type of lock to suggest cuffs of some sort.

When the material is leather (not showing to well) it looks like restraining instruments from a medical facility, 19th century.

The notch may yet indicate some medical or physical purpose (to put pressure on a sinew or vessel).

Let's not assume they were for slaves, those collars and irons were produced much cheaper.

Also I lack the ring(s) to lock in the bearer; what are diametres?

Edited by Odulf

Medical purpose also came up to me.

The inside material is some kind of leather, missing for a part on the smaller one.

The diametres are on the pic's; +/- 5.5 and 8 cm.

I did look on old medical instruments site's,but couldn't find any similar objects, but that doesn't mean anything of course!

I might take a other look.

Thanks so far guy's!

cheers

|<ris

Theey look to me like wrist and ankle restraining cuffs. However, without locks they would not be prison - and 'slave'

types were beaten iron.

I feel that tthey may have been used in a mental hospital to move disturbed patients. The other medical use that has been

suggested is for bed restraints - but, what you fix them to - doesn't seem to be any spare room.

You also touch on another possibility - like a jubilee clip ? Mervyn

The pipe fitting idea, does come up on different occassions, when asked on different other fora.

But all ohter ideas as well.

What i am looking for is a picture or other evidence of similar objects.

I did found a pic, sadly not clear enough....to see if these are similar constructed items....