News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Last Voices of WWI

E Williams

I own the documentary, not sure where I picked it up, but I've seen it several times. The interviews are interesting, but by nature of the title, limited. The documentary focuses entirely on British, soldiers and battles.

A much broader, and better source of first hand accounts from the Great War can be found in the BBC's 1964 Great War documentary, and all 26 parts of said documentary are available on YouTube.

I know for a fact that Harry Patch is in both documentaries, and I believe that one more of the "Last Voices" subjects is in the 1964 BBC documentary, but I am unable to recall which.

Both the "Last Voices", and the 1964 BBC documentary interview civilians, and in my opinion "Last Voices" contains more interesting subject matter concerning said civilians.

As far as research goes "Last Voices" appears to have been a cerialized narrow scope documentary whereas the BBC's Great War documentary is, near as makes no difference, a master's thesis on the Great War as a whole. While it is interesting to view the last interviews of the few (at that time) remaining British veterans the BBC documentary provides numerous additional subjects and a broader treatment of the Great War as a whole.

Your topic was a bit vague so I wasn't sure what to post, and I appologize if I seem derogatory, but in short yes I do own it, and yes I would recommend it to others.

-R. H. Hines