News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE ROMANIAN'COMMEMORATIVE CROSS OF THE 1916 - 1918 WAR.

Actually the official bar "ITALIA" is missing, since it was probably authorised later than the donation to the museum.

I don't think that variations in the shape and style of letters denote fakes. There were probably many manufacturers of the cross and its bars. I also don't think that this award is faked yet.

Thank you g_deploige for the excellent close-up of the bars of the cross in the museum.

No the cross has not been faked because of its low value and many issues, but fake Siberia and Italia, very poor quality have been seen here at collectors meetings in Romania. Now I carry my digital camera to try and document these fake items. :ninja:

There is a big diference between a Reproduction and a Fake, repros can be authorised, fakes are just made to get big money for hard to find items, and are offered as the REAL item.

Kevin in Deva :D

• Replies 61
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...

Also with the Romanian COMMEMORATIVE CROSS OF THE 1916 - 18 WAR. variations are known to exsist in the design of the surface of the inside of the Cross arms, what I call the "Big Squares and the Little Squares"

Another design variation that can be noted are the points at which the ribbon ring fixing point is mounted on the upper arm of the cross, a Ball type can be found as well as a Barrel type and a Post type, please see pictures.

Kev in Dev.

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Nice to see that my images have found their way to this site!

If you would like to have more information on the versions of this cross as well as on the variations of its clasps, please take a look at the two topics opened last year on the WorldWar2.ro Forum: Variants of the WWI Commemorative Cross and Clasps of the WWI Commemorative Cross.

• 2 years later...

QUOTE(Kev in Deva @ Mar 2 2006, 21:50 ) Also with the Romanian COMMEMORATIVE CROSS OF THE 1916 - 18 WAR. variations are known to exsist in the design of the surface of the inside of the Cross arms, what I call the "Big Squares and the Little Squares"

Another design variation that can be noted are the points at which the ribbon ring fixing point is mounted on the upper arm of the cross, a Ball type can be found as well as a Barrel type and a Post type, please see pictures.

Kev in Dev.

Nice to see that my images have found their way to this site!

If you would like to have more information on the versions of this cross as well as on the variations of its clasps, please take a look at the two topics opened last year on the WorldWar2.ro Forum: Variants of the WWI Commemorative Cross and Clasps of the WWI Commemorative Cross.

Hello Carol I,

It is quite possible that, aside from local Romanian manufacturers, a variety of this medal was also produced by the Paris firm of M. Delande. They were a prolific medal producer and I have seen examples of their work in producing medals relating to the Great War for many countries including Czechoslovakia, Italy, as well as the Japanese and US Victory and many others. I have attached a picture of an illustration from the 1934 catalogue of M. Delande, where it shows the Romanian Commemorative Cross suspended by a ball and with what appears to be a smaller ball suspender.

I hope this is of use.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Hello Carol I,

It is quite possible that, aside from local Romanian manufacturers, a variety of this medal was also produced by the Paris firm of M. Delande. They were a prolific medal producer and I have seen examples of their work in producing medals relating to the Great War for many countries including Czechoslovakia, Italy, as well as the Japanese and US Victory and many others. I have attached a picture of an illustration from the 1934 catalogue of M. Delande, where it shows the Romanian Commemorative Cross suspended by a ball and with what appears to be a smaller ball suspender.

I hope this is of use.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks Rob for the update on this topic. Given the number of these crosses that were awarded, it is not at all surprising that foreign manufacturers were also involved in its production. And thanks to your post, we also have a name: M. Delande of Paris.

• 3 months later...

Good morning and Marry Christmas! Questions about 1916-1919 Cross: Date of the statement of this cross or addition to the general(8 jul.1918) decree is known? How many of them was given (must be less, than -1918)? The connecting ring with a ribbon should be always soldered (on a photo it is not visible a cut anywhere) or not? Fakes are known? Thanks.

Here`s a picture of a WWI crosses that belong to a big collection from Timisoara that was presented in an exhibition.

I didn't know any better to take some decent pictures :banger:

Hope you find the enameled one interesting.

Edited by Corabia Alex

Here`s a picture of a WWI crosses that belong to a big collection from Timisoara that was presented in an exhibition.

I didn't know any better to take some decent pictures :banger:

Hope you find the enameled one interesting.

I must admit that the one in the picture is the only enameled one I have ever seen,

obviously a privately commissioned piece, actually its quite nice looking. :jumping:

Thanks for showing.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

• 1 year later...

Old thread revived. In the nice exemple in the Brussels Museum I'm also missing the TARGUL-OCNA bar? Trying to determine how many different (official) bars there were (not counting the spelling variations) 15?

Hello love4history,

In post #31 of this thread there are two links to some threads on a Romanian forum which has much information about the medal and the clasp varieties.

Regards,

Rob

• 1 month later...

I thought I had asked this before but I guess I didn't.:whistle:

What is the opinion of these style bars shown on this medal bar? I believe they are French produced, but were considered period and not something modern.

Tim :cheers:

Edited by Tim B

Hi Tim, :beer:

just caught your post with regards this,

I have never come across reference that there

were any French made Battle bars.

I think I should pose your question on a Romanian site and

see if anything about your idea is known.

Also it is possible that they could be a Romanian made variation,

its such a pity that so much information has been lost with

regards items of the Romanian Royal period. :banger:

Off the top of my head (and I will have to check the thread I made on objects in the Romanian Military Museum in Bucharest)

I believe a similar example resides there, with both types of bar.

Edited by Kev in Deva

• 3 weeks later...