News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Order of Battle 1914

Does anyone know of any online resources for French Army organization and/or order-of-battle in August 1914?

French language okay... Merci in advance...

Does anyone have experience with this book: "Handbook of the French Army 1914" British General Staff? Seems to be a similar volume like the one from the British General Staff on the German Army from 1918.

Edited by IrishGunner

Perhaps with a more specific query an answer could be found. Are you looking for the order of battle for any particular engagement, or are you looking for the history of the 674th regiment?

Here are French sources that I have run across which may be helpful:

http://www.sac.asso.fr/regiment/regiment.php

http://vinny03.perso.neuf.fr/1418.htm

http://www.association14-18.org/index.htm

^ above sources courtesy of "Nemo" over at armcahirgeneral.com

here is a link to his post: http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18875

Those links should give you the ability to search for specific regiments, depending on your French fluency.

There are books in English which may aid you in your search, two which I have purchased recently that deal with the French order of battle in 1914 are: "The Marne, 1914" by Holger H. Herwig, and "They Shall Not Pass" by Ian Sumner.

You may also search for a,

Major-General Sir Edward Louis Spears, 1st Baronet, KBE CB MC

Spears was the liaison officer between the B.E.F. and the French high command during that time, and he may have written something down. Additionally Spears is featured very prominently in the 1964 BBC documentry on the Great War if that helps.

Perhaps with a more specific query an answer could be found. Are you looking for the order of battle for any particular engagement, or are you looking for the history of the 674th regiment?

There are books in English which may aid you in your search, two which I have purchased recently that deal with the French order of battle in 1914 are: "The Marne, 1914" by Holger H. Herwig, and "They Shall Not Pass" by Ian Sumner.

Thanks for your comments. The point is that I'm not looking for a specific regiment - rather a listing of ALL of the regiments that existed at the start of the war. Thus, my request for the French Army organization of 1914.

Some of the sites you mention, I've seen... And they are helpful. Only very incomplete. I also have Herwig's book and it too is helpful, but has gaps.

My post regarding "674 Régiments" was asking if anyone had any experience (eg validity of information) on the site: Les combats et engagements de 674 Régiments (or Combat and Engagements of the 674 Regiments); presuming that means the site has information on 674 French regiments. (From all I've seen, there was no "674th Regiment".) This site seems to be the most complete at the regimental level (for all arms - not just infantry) than any I've found. I was hoping someone might have experience/knowledge and could assess its accuracy.

Of course, I know what I am asking is for a very general thing. On the other hand, the information available - at least on the web - regarding German OOB to the regiment level is fairly extensive. It seems that the French side isn't quite sufficient. Even if one includes French language sites. At least from what my neophyte searches have turned up...

Thanks again for the links; they are helpful.

I've had exceptional help from the German Federal Archives, and I can only assume that the French Government has an institution which is similar. Google translate is your friend, find the French archives, or more realistically, find the archives of the French military institutes and you will find your answers.

Sorry for the meager help,

R. H. Hines

The french site is phantastic!

I also have a nice book about the french infantry units:
    Répertoire des corps de troupe de l´armée française pendant la grande guerre, tome 1: l´infanterie métropolitaine et unités d´active, régiments N° 1-176, notices historiques (written by èric Labayle and Michel Bonnaud)

Here are the other OOBs of 1914:

The "Gliederung Feldheer" is a detailed list including the higher officers. The first three docs are made by me, and the "Gliederungen" was made by a friend of mine (Frank), who wrote this book with Janet and Joe Robinson. (RECOMMENDABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!):

http://www.militaria.at/Book.aspx?book=2277660&Language=de

Das britische Expeditionskorps August 1914.doc

Die belgische Armee Anfang August 1914.doc

Deutsche Kriegsgliederungen 1914.doc

Gliederung Feldheer 1914_v2.doc

Edited by The Prussian