News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imperial Russian medals: references

Bill Harris

Good afternoon gents,

Longtime lurker, first time poster here.

Was toying with the idea of adding a few Imperial Russian medals to my collection, down the road; there's no rush to sink a load of money into what looks like a fairly expensive and fraught field. Before doing ANYTHING though, I wanted to peruse at least one good reference book, ideally one that would help in separating real from fake. I admit to knowing little at this point and would be woefully susceptible to filling my collection with expensive copies!

Can anyone here recommend such a book? Would prefer something not too heavy on the $$ to start with, as this is a collecting area I am just beginning to explore. An English language book would be preferrable, as my по-русски is не хорошо.

Edited by Bill Harris

I find Dimitri Romanov's book, "Orders, Medals and History of Imperial; Russia", published in Copenhagen in 2000, to be very useful. Good images, English text, although not heavy on technical detail. It can be expensive in the secondary book market, but it was published at $95, as I recall.

Bill,

Werlich's book on Russian Orders, Medals and Decorations, includes all periods and is a good overview. I still use it from time to time and there are several used examples available on Amazon at quite cheap prices.

Paul