News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some U-Boat related pictures

Some very interesting photos. Are there any details as to the names of the sinking ships? The British destroyer (H99) is HMS Hero and judging by the stripes on one of her turrets it was taken during the Spanish Civil War.

Edited by hucks216

• 2 weeks later...

These are just great! Hard to find images of sinking vessels - thanks so much for sharing them.

Bill

Hi Bill,

No idea if I was then just lucky with them, but I do have several albums and photo-groupings with sinking ship in them.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Eric,

Is it likey that it was the only U-Boat in port at the same time, if it helps the pic top left post 4 states return from patrol, greetings by Donitz 16/2/1942.

I will put up some more pics this evening after work, they were all loose in a envelope the just stated 'Vater Marine' no name.

Jock :)

These are just great! Hard to find images of sinking vessels - thanks so much for sharing them.

Bill

I have no U-Boat related images but i have quite a few photo's of sinking ships taken from the Hilskreuzer STIER.

Regards,Martin.

Eric,

Sadly only two have writting and no names, if these two pics are the same bloke then he was Adjt to Donitz it states on the rear of the larger picture (I think see pic)?

I should look more carefully at things!

Jock:)

Edited by Jock Auld

Hi Jock,

I don't think that the photo "top left post 4 states return from patrol, greetings by Donitz 16/2/1942" is taken on the day that the uboat did return from her patrol, but taken a day or even a couple of days later.

The crew is clean shaven, clean clothing, and the CO. who is reporting his crew to Dönitz is dressed up in his best blue uniform.

Is it possible to show the writing on the back of that photo - the original German text ?

I did enlarge the photo but without the proper results, can you make a good scan of the CO. - showing his head and chest part.

Your portrait photo shows, "Als Atjudant von Dönitz" - the man's position / duty is wrongly written, as it should be Adjutant.

For being Dönitz's Adjutant, his rank is much too low, it is possible that he was attached to the Staff of the Adjutant of Dönitz.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Eric,

I have done this as 600dpi, thats the best I can do.

I have no idea about the possibilities as I have no name and no probability of finding one since this came through the house clearance people in the Bremen area which means that it is likey his son/daughter is now also dead?

The envelope is not in good condition and simply states Vater-Marine.

Sorry not to be more helpful but you now know as much as me about him barring a few more pics.

Cheers

Jock,

The problem is that I did go for that photo with the date written on the back.

That date on the back must be wrong.

Although Lorient does have a friendly climate, It doesn't look February to me on that photo.

The sun is shining, the trees do have all their leafs, crew is dressed up in light clothing.

Why Lorient, well I did ask my friend, the French Uboat historian and author Luc Braeuer to have a look at the photo.

He says that the officer is Heinrich Liebe of U-38 at the Ehrenplatz - Lorient, reporting to Dönitz. (thank you Luc)

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Edited by Eric JB

Eric-Jan,

Does that boat number fit with a visit to spain during the civil war? (edit clearly not a quick search has revealed)!

I wonder which German vessels were in port at the time of the civil war, I will try that line.

I will have a look myself as there is online a U-Boat site that deals with each boat but it is not very detailed at times.

Dates and places can always be wrong I suppose, looking at the style of writing it is a post war note?

Cheers

Edited by Jock Auld

Jock,

More assistance from Luc Braeuer.

Post # 4.

Photo top right (waving) and the two photos below (mail).

24 October 1940, 11:45 hrs. arrival of U-38 at Scorff Lorient.

Thank you for your help again Luc !

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Eric-Jan,

Does that boat number fit with a visit to spain during the civil war? (edit clearly not a quick search has revealed)!

I wonder which German vessels were in port at the time of the civil war, I will try that line.

I will have a look myself as there is online a U-Boat site that deals with each boat but it is not very detailed at times.

Dates and places can always be wrong I suppose, looking at the style of writing it is a post war note?

Cheers

Jock,

Uboats active during the Spanish civil war.

U-14, U-19, U-25, U-26, U-27, U-28, U-29, U-30, U-31, U-32, U-33, U-34, U-35, U-36.

So no U-38.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Eric,

The last of the non holiday snaps that are interesting-ish.

I suppose if this is all that remains from his estate spanning a marine career then it will remain a jigsaw as such, he must have served on more than one boat I guess, if I had his name it would be more useful!

best regards

jock :)