News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Jg.Bataillon (Hann.) 10, later distinguished officers, WW II

Hello readers.

The Jaeger Bataillon (Hann.) 10 was entitled to wear the cufftitle "Gibraltar" and campaign/battle honors on their tschakos " Peninsula, Venta Del Pozo and Waterloo". It was deployed during WW I on different fronts and was also a component of the Alpenkorps. It counted in its ranks a number of junior officers who survived the war and continued to reach General Officcers rank during WW II. A good number of them were highly decorated. It should be pointed out that the German Imperial Army did not offer fast advancement in rank. Most company commanders were 2nd lt's. as the war progressed and battallions were then oftentimes commanded by captains and even 1st lt.'s .

Here is a list of such officers:

- Gen. d. Pz.Tr BALCK, Hermann. Oakleaves w/Swords and Diamomds, several times wounded.

- Gen.d. Geb.Tr. KREYSING, Hans. Oakleaves w/Swords, Hohenzollern.

- Gen.Lt. KIRCHHEIM, Heinrich, PLM, Hohenzollern, Knightscross to the Iron Cross.

- Gen.Lt. HACCIUS, Ernst. Knight Cross, German Cross i.Gold.

- Gen.Maj. FULLRIEDE, Fritz, Res.Jg. Btl.10 later Jg.Btl. Kirchheim ( from Jg.Btl.10 ).Oakleaves.

- Gen.Major v.STOLZMANN, Hans Joachim. Knights Cross, German Cross i.Gold.

- Gen.d.Inf. KEITEL, Bodewin, was head of the Heeres Personal Amt for a time.

I believe this to be an impressive record for a rather small formation but an elite one.

Souces: History of the Jg.Btl.(Hann.) 10, Biblio ref.series on German army generals and W.Keilig, Die Generale des Heeres.

Bernhard H. Holst

p.s. I hope to be able to soon show a picture of a Tschako for this unit for which I was searching for many years and a pre-1914 jaeger green tunic with the "Gibraltar" cuff band.

B.H.H.

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst