News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

A very long shot indeed... I am looking into a man with the comman name "Richard Wolf"... I think he was from Köln, He was an MG officer... born in 1900!

But from Photos seens to have been an LT in 1918.

Probably badly wounded in the Verdun Area in 1918.

Needle in a haystack... but maybe someone knows?

Any tips where I should look?

Thanks

Chris

Which Saxon rolls? Award rolls?

The archive in Dresden has the rolls of the Saxon Army, but was he a Saxon officer? Unless they were active Wehrmacht officers, I don't have much information on Saxon junior officers, and there I have not gotten to Wolf.

The only Lt. Richard Wolf in the published Albrechtorden rolls was a field artillery officer, Lt.d.R. Richard Wolf of RFAR 23. He also received the Silver St. Henry Medal as a Vfw.d.R.. The other two were an OLt.d.L. commanding Flakzug 403, and a Feldwebelleutnant. But the published rolls are missing a lot of late-war awards.

As for machinegunners, there was a Richard Wolf born in Leipzig-Möckern who was wounded in 1915 as a Reservist in the MGK/JB 13 and in 1916 as a Gefreiter in the same company.

Hi Dave,

All that I have on top of the above that he was Saxon through and through...

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/61827-guess-the-maker/#entry582926

I am not sure if the pics are any help... he has no ribbons.

At first I thought he was cutting it a bit fine... born 1900, Lt in 1918... but as he was actually born in 1896... that gives him a bit more time to have served.

By "Rolls" I mean all the esoteric different records the Gnomes use... Do you think he may be the RFAR23 guy? Or is he too young? Maybe the Flakzug 403 has something to do with the MG badge.

I would think the OLt.d.L. was too old. Possibly not the RFAR 23 officer, either, since he was artillery. Maybe the JB 13 guy, since he was a machinegunner. If he made Lt.d.R. relatively late, he might not have gotten the Albrechtorden until late 1918, if at all. There are no rolls for the Friedrich-August-Medaille.

• 4 weeks later...

As for machinegunners, there was a Richard Wolf born in Leipzig-Möckern who was wounded in 1915 as a Reservist in the MGK/JB 13 and in 1916 as a Gefreiter in the same company.

You nailed it.. The relative confirms that he was from Leipzig - Möckern :-)

Chris,

i have found a Lt d.R Erich Wolf who served in Reserve Jäger Bataillon Nr. 13. He received the SA3bX, EK and RE3X

In the history of the Jäger Bataillon Nr. 13, I have found a Lt d. R Karl Wolf who received SA3bX

Christophe