News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear Gentlemen, could you please help me in clarifying a tricky issue concerning Prussian Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnungen? Having completed series of articles dedicated to regular Prussian army Long Service awards (1825/1913), I'm currently in a process of writing an article on Landwehr awards but I'm a bit confused having compiled available info from various sources.

1. What was the exact name of the Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnungen (Schnalle) when it was instituted by Friedrich Wilhelm IV on January 16, 1842? It's commonly known nowadays as LDA2 (Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnungen 2.Klasse), but there was no 1st Class in 1842 as the latter was introduced on July 04, 1868 only!!! So the questions are:

- what was the name of that clasp in 1842-1868, i.e. how was it oficially named in its 1842 Statute?

- was it reserved for enlisted ranks and NCOs only in 1842-1868?

- was there any AKO or any other Order renaming that clasp as "2.Klasse" when LDA1 for officers was instituted in 1868?

2. Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnungen 1.Klasse was instituted on July 04, 1868 by the King Wilhelm I. What award long serving Prussian Landwehr officers were decorated with before 1868? LDA2 (Schnalle) or no award at all?

Many thanks for your help in advance!

Hello Andreij,

Andreas posted your question on the german SDA-forum and answered on some questions.

Here the original statutes of institution from January 16, 1842.

There you will find answers to most of your questions. Unfortunately i dont have the original statutes for the LWDA 1 at the moment, but i know that there the designation "2nd class" for the Schnalle is introduced to make a difference to the cross 1st. class.

If there are problems to read and translate it, i will try to translate the most important parts later.

Best regards

Markus

Could you please let me know what was the official name of the cross commonly known as “LDA1” upon its institution on July 04, 1868 - “Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung 1.Klasse” or something like “Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung für Offiziere”?

I’m also totally confused with the award criteria for Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung 2.Klasse-medal (04.07.1913-01.02.1920), and Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung 1.Klasse-cross (04.07.1868-01.02.1920).

Is it correct that:

- LDA1 was awarded for 20 years of impeccable service in the Landwehr / Seewehr to officers, medical officers, NCOs and other ranks (i.e. not only officers) who participated in a campaign, or as an exceptional reward for those who spent a total of three months on active conscripted service without leave?

- LDA2 (medal) was awarded to Landwehr/Reserve members who served at least 12 years, and (a) either participated in a campaign or (b) for at least 3 months of full active service.

Info posted at various e-sources seems to be contradictory...