News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Certificate of Nobility for General Friedrich Wilhelm (von) Laue, 1796-1862

...a guy with a most amazing career and a really adventurous life. He joined the Prussian army in 1813 (fought at Wavre in 1815) and then left it again in 1824 in order to open a publishing company.

He changed his mind in 1829 when he joined the Turkish army. He fought at the battle of Nisib (1839) and was the first to climb the walls of Saida (1840) together with Commodore Charles Napier. He spent a lot of time there with his close friend, the famous Moltke. In 1841 he was back in Prussian Services where he was sent to London in 1848 in order to convince Prince William (the future emperor) to return after he had fled the revolution back home. He then became his first adjutant.

After such a life it is no wonder that he chose as motto for his coat of arms: "Gedenke zu leben" (Bear in mind to live)…

Thank you for posting this, Saxcob - another wonderful piece from your collection which I, for one, have enjoyed seeing! This Adels-brief is quite a bit more substantial than its British equivalent, Letters patent of Nobility, which would consist of a single piece of vellum, albeit with the Royal seal. Am I correct that the figure on the coat of arms is Diana, in her guise of Moon goddess as well as goddess of hunting? Does the Adels-brief explain why she was chosen?

Another question, if I may? I see from the printed text that he was elevated to the nobility - untitled, I think - on 1.1.1858; however, the Adels-brief is dated '7xx [can't read] 1859', if I am reading it correctly. Are you able to tell me why there is a difference in date?

On a more general point, you note that your man served with the Turkish army. Was this an official transfer from the Prussian army or was it a reflection of the greater fluidity of loyalties, then, whereby adventurous young men could serve in armies other than that of their mother country?

Apologies for so many questions - and please be in no rush to answer them - but you have to expect it, if you post such an interesting item :)

Am I correct that the figure on the coat of arms is Diana, in her guise of Moon goddess as well as goddess of hunting? Does the Adels-brief explain why she was chosen?

The text describes the display of the shield as "statue of Artemis" but does not offer an explanation.

Another question, if I may? I see from the printed text that he was elevated to the nobility - untitled, I think - on 1.1.1858; however, the Adels-brief is dated '7xx [can't read] 1859', if I am reading it correctly. Are you able to tell me why there is a difference in date?

The Prussian king would not give such a posh thing to his new noble friend, the latter had to commission and pay it himself. The price depended on the artists and the material he choose. When it comes to this example, the (huge!) box for the seal is only silver plated though real silver ones are known as well. So the date just refers to the day when the king signed the document even though Lange already was a “von” for more than a year. Obviously it took some time to produce it.

On a more general point, you note that your man served with the Turkish army. Was this an official transfer from the Prussian army or was it a reflection of the greater fluidity of loyalties, then, whereby adventurous young men could serve in armies other than that of their mother Country?

The latter is true. He left the Prussian army and when he joined it again he had to accept the rank of a major though he was already a Turkish general and commander of a fortress at the Dardanelles.

• 5 years later...
    On 06/03/2014 at 16:31, saxcob said:

> Am I correct that the figure on the coat of arms is Diana, in her guise of Moon goddess as well as goddess of hunting?
    > Does the Adels-brief explain why she was chosen?

The text describes the display of the shield as "statue of Artemis" but does not offer an explanation.

In his personal memories he describes how he found a ring with Artemis engraved in the stone exactly like this.  He found during the preparation for a battle between the Turkish army and the Egyptian usurpers.  He requested that this should become his coat of arms, thus delaying the issuing of the "Adels-brief".

If anyone is interested, I can search for the original text (in German).