News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British officers in the Imperial Austro-Hungarian forces

Trooper_D

Oberst mit titel und Charakter

Mannock, Patrik

FJO-E, BMVM(KDS), BMVM, D2, MJM08, MK13, HR7 ük Kmdt.

Fohlenhof in Odalmand, Per 1,August 118 auf Wartegebühr beurlaubt.

Jörg Steiner, Schematismus der General und Obersten der k.u.k. Armee. Stand: 31 Dec 1918.  1992

• 1 month later...
    • 6 months later...

Interesting thread. Here is a summaries of the careers of English/Irish officers I encountered while researching the original owner of a Austrian heavy cavalry sword that I have in my collection. As it turns out, the sword was the property of Bedingfeld. Ferrall and Jerningham were instrumental in obtaining his commission in the Austrian forces.

Charles Richard Bedingfeld was the second son of the 5th Baronet Bedingfeld of Oxburgh Hall, County Norfolk. Born in 1803, and second-in-line to inherit his father’s estates, Charles was destined to be a soldier. At the age of 18, he was appointed a commission in an Austrian heavy cavalry unit: the 8th Böhmisches Kürassier-Regiment. He served for almost 10 years before returning to England where he served as a Captain in the 1st Regiment of Norfolk Militia. He was later promoted to Major in the regiment, and retired his commission in 1862.

James O’More Ferrall was born in Dublin on December 23, 1753. In 1773, at the age of 20, James journeyed to Vienna and enlisted in the army of the Archduchy of Austria, an integral part of the Holy Roman Empire. He served in the French Revolutionary Wars in Italy and Turkey.

In 1790, James was promoted to the rank of Major. Austrian army records indicate that his title in the Austrian forces was Jakob Ritter von O’Ferrall. By 1800, James had risen to become a Lieutenant Colonel. In August 1805, Napoleon launched the Ulm Campaign, a joint French-Bavarian manoeuvre aimed at outflanking the Austrians. Under the command of Lieutenant Marshall Karl Mack von Lieberich, James saw action at the Battle of Günzburg on October 9, where the Austrians were resoundingly beaten. Two days later he was wounded and captured by the French at Landsberg am Lech in Bavaria, following another defeat at Haslach-Jungingen. The war between France and Austria ended on October 20, and on
    December 26 the two Emperors signed a peace treaty.

The treaty guaranteed Ferrall’s release, but by now the 52-year-old James was elderly and still injured. In recognition of his service, he was made Chamberlain to Franz I and served the Emperor as the officer in charge of the household for the next four years. The fact that the role was given to James demonstrates the high regard in which the Irishman was held by the Emperor. During his time as Chamberlain, even though not on the battlefield, Ferrall would rise to the ranks of Colonel in 1807 [Charles at that time also became Colonel of the 8th Austrian Kurassier Regt., a post he held for two years] and Major General on the day of his retirement in 1809. For two years, he lived in Vienna on a state pension.

William Charles Jerningham (born 1772, died October 1820), entered the Austrian service at the age of 20 years. He served in Bender’s Regiment, also designated Infantry Regt. No. 41, and signalized himself by his distinguished bravery and conduct during the whole of the first French revolutionary war, having been present at the great battles fought in Germany and Flanders during the seven campaigns from 1790 to the peace of Campo Formio (signed October 18, 1797) when he quit the Imperial service and returned home. James may well have served in other Austrian units during his enlistment. The reference to Bender’s Regiment comes from the Battle of Jemappes (Nov. 6, 1792), in which the Regiment suffered especially heavy casualties, losing 14 officers and 400 men.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Years ago I purchased this portrait of Captain John J. .Webbe Weston of Lution Place, co. Surrey, served in the K.u.K. 10th Husarenregiment and died in 1849 at the siege of Komorn as for a handwritten caption on the back of the portrait.

Hope this could be of some interest.

P1010625.JPG

14 hours ago, lieubgvardi said:

Hello,

Years ago I purchased this portrait of Captain John J. .Webbe Weston of Lution Place, co. Surrey, served in the K.u.K. 10th Husarenregiment and died in 1849 at the siege of Komorn as for a handwritten caption on the back of the portrait.

Hope this could be of some interest.

Great painting!

He died 1849 september 24, not in combat but cholera at age 36. The fortress of Komorn (my hometown) capitulated three days later.

At the time of his death he served as the I. class captain of the 3d Chevaux-Leger Regiment, and aide-de champ of general Nugent. He was the Ritter of the Johanniter Orden.

Thank you for this fascinating contribution to the thread, Poison Dwarf. However, I don't quite understand this bit:

On 2/21/2016 at 22:29, Poison Dwarf said:

Ferrall would rise to the ranks of Colonel in 1807 [Charles at that time also became Colonel of the 8th Austrian Kurassier Regt., a post he held for two years]

Do you mean 'James' rather than 'Charles'? You can't, of course, mean Charles Richard Bedingfeld as he was only 4 years old in 1807.

Did you post a photo of the sword in question on another thread, as a matter of interest, and, if so, would you be kind enough to post a link, please?

• 9 months later...
    • 1 year later...