Greetings to all.

I would like to find some information on two ABO medals I recently purchased. One to a Korpl J H Muller and another to a Burger F C Swart. Both in relatively good condition, one with a WW1 suspender and the other with the WW2 suspender and block letters. Any information, such as Commandos that they fought in, battles they took part in and any other Boer War and post Boer War info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Chris

Edited by Chrisvo

Evening Mike

I've looked there before and didn't find either of their names. The best I could find was a Korpl J J Muller. I suppose they could have used 'H' as his second name is Johannes but I doubt it. The complete roll would be quite larger than that considering it only has 451 records compared to the close on 14000 ABO medals issued. Any other sources I might look at?

Chris

Hi,

the big Plus is they are unique name medals.... some ABOs have 3 or 5 or 10 guys with the same initial.

With these (unique names) you can order the guys application form from the archives in Pretoria... it will have (depending on how well he filled out the form) when he joined, which battles he took part in, if he was captured, who his commander was, if he was wounded etc.

There are some reserchers in Pretoria that can get you the info, the prices for the service vary...

I'll give the Cape Town Archives a call tomorrow and perhaps they can get the Pretoria National Archives to send them some info. Could be an interesting little research project. Thanks again for your help. Narrowed the search down consideribly.

Good day to all.

Just spoke to the Department of Defence Archives and was put through to the man who deals with ABO medals. He told me to send him an email with all the details of the two gents and hopefully he can send me their form Bs and any other info they might have. He suggested I look a bit further to see if either went on to fight in World War One. Anyway, thank you Chris Boonzaier for helping me out and I shall place what I receive on this post.

Chris

Edited by Chrisvo

I can find no trace of a 'Gatsrand Commando' - will be interesting to see if they identify it by that name.

Ladybrand Commando were an OFS Commando. They fought in the following engagements -

Boshof, Magersfontein, Poplar Grove, Brandfort, Sand River, Korrannaberg, Biddulphsberg, Wittebergen,

Brandwater Basin , Commando Nek , Blijdskap. Mervyn

Hi there Mervyn

Here's something that should put the matter to rest..

http://books.google.co.za/books?id=lQKM_11D6I0C&pg=PA656&lpg=PA656&dq=Gatsrand+Commando&source=bl&ots=4YgpwTg5AH&sig=8DZamHbsZrZWH_yxtt2599XW5XM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4YwhU9zUBcje7AaMn4DwCg&ved=0CGAQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=Gatsrand%20Commando&f=false

Oh, and thanks, now I know which way to display the Swart medal.

Edited by Chrisvo

• 4 weeks later...

Hello once again.

Just received the copies of the Form B for the two medals. Thank you Chris Boonzaier and a thank you to Gerald and Steve at the Documentation Centre for providing the information. Got both the Forms for Korpl JH Muller and Burger FC Swart but also got one for a Burger J H Muller. Anyway, for your enjoyment..

Regards,
Chris