Unknown WWII Belgium Armband

Hello Gents, I recently acquired this armband in a US Vets Grouping that was in a Tank Destroyer unit during WWII. There is a lot of paperwork and notes from the vet about his time in Europe but nothing about how or where he received this armband. He did write Sept 8, 1944 on the top of the leather patch sewn to the item, but that is all I have to go on. The colors look like Belgium colors to me and that is why I assume it is from that country. Thank you for any comments you might be able to give on this armband as I have not been able to find anything that matches it.

Devinimg_6315.jpg

• 3 months later...

hello, this is an armband ( brassard in French) worn by the Belgian résistance at the end of WW2, while participating to the liberation of our country.

This pattern was worn by the "Front de l'Indépendance" movement but also by the movements that had no proper insignia...

The printed badges were sewed on an armband made of till.

Hope this helped...

best regards

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Blog Comments

• As a theology student my professor, a much published former Naval chaplain, set us an essay, saying that if we could answer that successfully we would be guaranteed  a good degree "Which of the gospel writers was the biggest liar, discuss."   I got a good mark, but  don't want to be burned for heresy.   P
    • As my father used to say: "Tain't so much Pappy's a liar - he just remembers big."  
    • Brian: First, let me say that I always enjoy reading your blog and your "spot on" comments.  Another fine topic with such a broad expansion into so many different facets.  I had watched this a week or two ago and when reading your blog, it reminded me of this great quote.   There is a great video on the origins of "Who was Murphy in Murphy's Law"   Anyway, about mid way through this video, there is this great quote and I think it sums it up quite well to your statem
    • I've received word from the Curator that she has permission to re-open this summer.   We're already making plans for a November event at the Museum.   Michael
    • I recall I did the same on hot days at Old Fort York back in 1973-74 - wool uniforms, and at 90F they would let you take your backpack off.   Michael