News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Identification of a 1904-1905 Red Cross Jeton

larsb001

Hello All.

Would anybody be able to add some comments on this Red Cross jeton from the 1904-1905 War? I assume it's from one of the Societies, but a smaller one as I haven't seen a similar one before in contrary to those from the larger Societies - but which one, any comments is most welcome. It's gilded Silver and unmarked as far as I can see.

Thanks, Lars

The pattern is that of a "memorial jetton for work in the Warehouses of Her Imperial Majesty Empress Alexandra Fyodorovna in St. Petersburg." I've seen a couple of these over the years and both had silver hallmarks. The rings, as I recall, threaded through an opening in the crown and were not cast as an integral part of it...

Regards

Edited by Mathomhaus

I found this jeton in the reference Russian Medical Breast Badges. It is item 53 on page 27, "Red Cross Jeton". However, its notes say it has 1914-1915-1916 on the reverse. Maybe they just changed the reverse to match the war? I can't tell if the ring goes through the crown or is attached to it.

Chuck

There's twenty pages of information about the badge (written in both Russian and English) in A. N Ivanov's Jettons of the Russian Empire.There were evidently several versions including an unenameled bronze or bronze gilt version with "for work in the Warehouses of Her Imperial Majesty Empress Alexandra Fyodorovna in St. Petersburg" in raised Russian lettering on the reverse along with "1904 1905".

While the jeton's overall design would seem to have originated in 1906, its "statutes" were still being tweaked as late as 1916.

Regards

Edited by Mathomhaus

Hello both.

Thanks alot for the info. I actually also now found it in Robert Werlich's book about Russian Jetons, fig. J-152, where it's described as "Red Cross depot of Empress Alexandra", this is however an unenamelled type so I overlooked it in the first run. But now I know what it is.

Regards, Lars

• 1 month later...

Here is the Lady with same initials that your jetton has :)

In the process of founding home for the sick and wounded soldiers in Tsarskoye Selo (August, 1905)

Best,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

Good morning Nick, sometimes you really amazes me with the wealth of information you're able to produce ;)

I now understand that the term "warehouse" or "depot" should be understood in a broader sense as a home for the sick and wounded which makes a little more sense. I'm actually surpriced to learn that so many variations exists, I would have assumed that such jetons were given to those who worked there or were involved in the home as sponsors or committe members and thus a ie bronze, silver and gold grade would have been sufficient and would have been made by one producer? Now I can see that an endless number of variations exist and perhaps you haven't even found all of them?

As you know this is not really within my area of interest but I simply found it beautiful so I just took it so I could enjoy it for some time.

Thanks again, Lars

As for this strange "warehouse" it comes from the fact that such jettones were given to persons who made donations.

With this donations medicines, bandages and uniforms were purchased and kept in Alexandra Fyodorovna warehouse :)