News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Republic of Korea: Medal for Participation in Vietnam War,

Could someone please clue me in on why the Korean medal for Participation in the Vietnam War is so damn hard to find? One would think that one was dealing with a Faberge egg instead of a campaign medal. Considering the relatively large number of ROK's that served in Vietnam, one would think that they'd be a bit easier to come by than they are.

As you may know, Koreans are subject to severe penalties for unauthorized buying, wearing or selling ROK medals. Don't know if this applies to giving them away, but I'd assume so. After many years of traveling there, I was able to get some of the ROK medals from the manufacturer including the Viet Nam medal.

I was unaware of the penalties angle to this but it does shed some light on the matter. It's too bad that the US doesn't follow similar policies for people who strut around wearing more medals than the president of Paraguay. Thanks for the info. NGL

I was unaware of the penalties angle to this but it does shed some light on the matter. It's too bad that the US doesn't follow similar policies for people who strut around wearing more medals than the president of Paraguay. Thanks for the info. NGL

The U.S. Only really has issues when it is the MOH, other orders and medals it seems are passable to a point. In terms of owning etc, not wearing them :D

I think any order or medal in which the country doesn't exist anymore could in theory be worn as jewellery pieces.

There are some celebs that get away with wearing stuff that is still issued now a days (Serbian Order of the White Eagle anyone? :), Russian Order of St. George etc)

Edited by Rogi

That's my point. The US should have strict laws dealing with people who wear awards that they don't deserve.

I agree, but I think that it would spawn some debate on whether or not people should collect militaria in the first place. Anything even remotely similar to the topic and it usually gets people talking about collecting.

The down side is that those people that are opposed to collecting orders and medals, never seem to meet (or even listen) to people that enjoy it and do it to commemorate the Veterans and the history of these recipients that served. I'm sure if we brought a bunch over to the forum here and explained our points and why we do it, that a lot could change :)

but then I'm getting off topic :D

Stricter laws on wearing orders and medals - yes :D (but not restricting people wearing items they've earned, ie not having every Veteran file a request with their gov. to wear something they've earned, even if the Nation they earned it with is not that friendly with their current nation)