News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Irish Air Corps Pilot Wings badge... in Gold?

Hello All,

I have been very quiet lately and generally just lurking, but I am hoping that one of you might be able to help me identify just what this pin is.

It looks to me like an Irish Air Corps pilot Wings badge, but I don't know of any in this size or that are made of gold.

It is extremely well made with great detail, hallmarked as 9 carat gold, with red and green enamel work (I cannot read the other hallmark stamps).

It has the stamp of the 'Jewellery & Metal Manufacturing Company of Ireland' (37 Kevin Street, Dublin). As far as I can gather, this company ceased to exist circa. 1970.

It reminds me of a sweetheart pin, but I cannot find any reference to anything like this on-line, the closest I can find is a silver badge (Pilot Wings - pre 1994. same colour enamels and style) - see:

http://www.irishmilitaryinsignia.com/flash/catagory/aircorps/wings_pilotandcrew/flash_ac_pilotwings_gen.htm

It is very small at 33mm from wing-tip to wing-tip.

I apologise for the very poor quality phone photographs - I will try to get some better shots tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any help or comments offered.

( Kevin, are you still out there? ) ;)

Regards - Danny

I believe its a custom sweetheart pin, and that your assumption is correct, it matches a similar style to the other wings.

Can't read the top hallmarks :( are you using Macro on your camera? (it is the little flower setting, or on some cameras the Fork and Spoon)

I believe its a custom sweetheart pin, and that your assumption is correct, it matches a similar style to the other wings.

Can't read the top hallmarks :( are you using Macro on your camera? (it is the little flower setting, or on some cameras the Fork and Spoon)

Hello Rogi, and thank you.

Yes, these photographs were in macro mode. Even using a loupe, all I can read are the horizontal 9, and 375 (denoting 9 carat gold).

I imagine, if this was a one off, custom piece, then someone must have paid well to have it made.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Regards - Danny

• 2 years later...

Danny,

The makers mark is for the Jewellery & Medal Manufacturing company.  They are an early issue Irish Defence Force Air Corps wing badge.  I have a similar badge on a 1930-1950s issue Air Corps dress uniform attributed to Capt. William (Bill) Ryan.  

VBW,

1916IrishCollector

image.png

• 2 months later...