News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hong Kong auction

drclaw

JCwater has provided me a link to a Hong Kong auction which has the most exquisite collection of Chinese and Manchukuo orders offered since the 2008 Tammann auction sale.

Some of the items on sale:

* Second Type First Class Second Grade Double Dragon

* Manchukuo Order of the Orchid Blossom breast star

* Manchukuo Order of the Illustrious Dragon cased set

* TWO cased First Class Nanking Puppet Government Orders of National Glory

* an exquisite Godet Double Dragon 2nd Class breast star

I haven't been able to download the images as it has a magnifying glass function. But enjoy the images while they're still there.

Chinese orders start on page 1. Shuffle forward a few pages to the Manchukuo orders.

http://auction.artron.net/BLHK-1527/PMH204764/PZ2019008/

Edited by drclaw

Wow what a treasure trove! Thanks JCWater, Gavin and Nick for these links! I grabbed a couple of screen captures, since it will be a shame to lose them when the links go dead.

Edited by Markus

Thanks Markus, here's something that particularly caught my eye from a research / historical basis. Original hand coloured illustrations of the First Type Double Dragon.

And the very rare Second Type First Class Second Grade Double Dragon. The last time one appeared on the market I believe was in 2008.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-11630-0-05894300-1396647521.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-11630-0-27503600-1396647590.jpg

Thanks Markus, here's something that particularly caught my eye from a research / historical basis. Original hand coloured illustrations of the First Type Double Dragon.

Did you notice the price tag for these?! ac28c59b1591fec4c93b5bc8aed39a60.gif

No, in my current impecunious state, prices would have been purely academic :lol:

Besides, as we know with Chinese items, the final price can be double, triple the estimate prices.

No, in my current impecunious state, prices would have been purely academic :lol:

Lucky you!

It's between 6 and 10 k's :whistle:

P.S. I think "paper" items in this catalogue are overpriced and "metal" items are underpriced ...

Thanks to Drclaw for sharing this great information. Incredible items indeed. Just wondering if the prices will be higher, lower or just at estimation level. It seems that there is enough material there to stuff potential buyers for many months to come, unless appetite for Chinese quality items is still on its way up and more hungry collectors will jump out of the bushes. Such high-level collections do not come frequently on the market as there should not be that many floating around these days. Will be very interesting to follow.

Regards to all.

KimKan

Just wondering if the prices will be higher, lower or just at estimation level.

Personally I vote for "higher" scenario :violent:

Some additional rarities from this auction

I know we have fans of this Dragon among us :whistle:

Breast star

Badge

Edited by JapanX

It's very hard to predict prices for Chinese items. Ordinarily, you might say that with such an extensive and rich offering, most collectors would have their budgets stretched to acquire one or two items if that.

But as we've seen in recent years, there's been growing interest among the Chinese, including very wealthy mainland Chinese, for all things to do with Chinese history, particularly their imperial past.

We may have to stop thinking in terms of what a Double Dragon, Brilliant Jade or Striped Tiger is 'worth' compared to an Order of the Red Eagle, St Anne or Medjidie, etc, but what a Chinese collector thinks they're worth compared to a Yongzheng era vase, a Qianglong jade carving, a Daoguang Buddhist statue.

Anything to do with the Imperial past has great appeal to the Chinese, especially now there is both the political and economic freedom to collect things they might not have been able to 10-20 years ago.

In relation to the Double Dragons, they were presented by the Emperor and bear the inscription "the Emperor presents" together with the imperial emblems. They were gifts of the Emperor and a direct link to the Imperial Court and a fascinating period in history when China was undergoing a transformation from its imperial past to a modern nation.

They are laden in symbolism and you need only to walk into your local Chinese restaurant to see the importance the Chinese place on visual symbolism.

And at the risk of attracting the ire of numismatists and philatelists, these possess a jewel-like beauty you won't find in a postage stamp or coin.

So it'll be interesting to see the results of this month's auctions.

Edited by drclaw

Some results. Prices in USD and INCLUDES 15% buyer's premium:

* Calligraphy by Li Yuanhong - USD 22,100

* Double Dragon award document - 6,600

* DD Second Class Second Grade set - 13,300

* DD Second Class, Second Grade set - 12,500

* DD Second Class, First Grade set - 19,200

* DD Second Class, First Grade set - 23,600

* DD Second Class, Third Grade set - 11,100 (note that all of these DDs have the enamelled clasp missing from the sash badge)

* DD First Class, Third Grade - 28,000

* DD First Class, Third Grade - 55,000

* Godet DD - 26,500

* Golden Grain award document, fourth class - 2,800

* Order of National Glory award document, Second Class - 4,700

* Order of National Glory, cased First Class - 12,500

* Order of National Glory, cased Second Class - 7,400

* Striped Tiger, cased Second Class - 10,300

* Striped Tiger, cased First Class - 17,700 (damage to both case and sash badge)

* Precious Brilliant Golden Grain, cased Second Class breast star - 12,500 (with lapel rosette)

* Golden Grain, cased First Class - 23,600

* Golden Grain, cased Second Class - 12,500

* Brilliant Jade, cased - 20,600

* Xuantong Emperor calligraphy - 88,500

* Puyi calligraphy - 47,200

* Manchukuo 1932 warrant of arrest - 11,100

* Auspicious Clouds First Class award document - 7,400

* Auspicious Clouds Second Class award document - 7400

* Order of the Illustrious Dragon set - 44,200

* Order of the Orchid Blossom - 78,100

* Pillars of the State, cased First Class - 47,200

* Pillars of the State, cased Second Class - 7400

* Auspicious Clouds, cased First Class - 16,200

* Auspicious Clouds, cased Second Class - 7,400

Edited by drclaw

Dear all,

These results are just amazing. The local (or international ?) "market" has been able to absorb these rare and valuable items without a glitch. Even if more items had been offered, no doubt they would have gone at the same speed .... It seems that there is an endless appetite for quality pieces, a situation that is not specific to orders, medals and decorations as similar trends can be observed in other areas. To me, the German Godet ODD breast star is the most surprising result as I was under the impression that China-made items were the most sought after and that ODD badges made by various foreign makers (French, Belgian, Russian, German....) in the early 1900s were less palatable to Chinese bidders. This auction tends to prove the contrary, though only one such foreign piece was on sale (only one amongst many many Chinese pieces...does this tell something about scarcity of foreign ODD badges ?). Worthy of note is also the fact that there were a bunch of rare Japanese items (thinking of the second class Golden Kite) that did not find a new home.

Overall, this sale was a great success and will be regarded as an important milestone in the small world of Chinese orders, medals and decorations. We have had the Tamman collection sold by UBS a few years ago and that of the American Numismatic Association sold by Morton & Eden. This one will definitely rank third over the past ten to fifteen years.

Regards to all.

KimKan