News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Medal

Mike

This came with the other RA medals I just posted but ...I don't have a clue what it is . It does remind me a little of an Iraqi Award . Well made , single rivit in the center . It has the same style bar on the ribbon as the Royal Arch ...you don't suppose Saddam was a Mason and copied......nahhh :shame:

Council Knights Masons

The Order of Knight Masons was formed in Dublin, Ireland, on June 18, 1923, for the purpose of governing the degrees previously known as the "Green Degrees." These degrees were formerly controlled by the Order of Knights Templar in Ireland (for more than eighty years) and conferred in their subordinate bodies. They were introduced in the United States on May 20, 1936, when the Grand Council in Ireland chartered three Councils in North Carolina. Subsequently seven additional Councils were chartered by that Grand Council in the United States. The degrees are Knight of the Sword, Knight of the East, Knight of the East and West, and Installed Excellent Chief and are not to be confused with the degrees which may have similar names in other Orders.

The first Jewel must be worn at all times in open Council and is part of the regalia. The second is the 50th anniversary Jewel for Latharna Council No. 59 issued on 25th April 2003.

[attachmentid=29319]

Edited by Humber

Here's the Iraqi copy of it ...I believe it's called the "Al-Sujat medal".

Noooononono your first posts were masonic. the latter military:

[attachmentid=29333][attachmentid=29334]

Wissam 'Uum al-M'aarak / Mother of Battles Medal, 1990-91 -- The status of Kuwait had, even since the days on the monarchy, been a contentions issue for Iraq. Kuwait was viewed as a creation of late-nineteenth-century British imperialism and severed the only good open-water port from Iraq (making Iraq, in essence, a land-locked country). The Sidqi (1936), Qasim (1961), and al-Bakr (1973) governments had all questioned the legitimnacy of Kuwait. The suffering inflicted on Iraq in the war with Iran (see 12.0000) and the less than sympathetic attitude of some of Iraq's Gulf Arab neighbors led to an increase in tensions with Kuwait throughout the late 1980s. On 2 August 1990 Iraqi troops invaded Kuwait. The United States of America quickly headed up the formation on a multi-national coalition to resist this action. Air operations against Iraq commenced on 16/17 January 1991 and ground operations began on 23/24 February 1991. The U.S. ground offensive ended with a cease-fire 3 March 1991. Awarded to Iraqi armed forces for service in Gulf War II, against the U.S.A. (and allies). A similar medal, on a different ribbon and without the obverse legend, was awarded for the Iran-Iraq War and for bravery in that war. Established: 1991. Obverse: Gilt eight-pointed rayed 40 mm sunburst star with black-enameled center with crossed swords and national arms above. On either side of the swords, the Arabic legend "Allah Akbar" or "God is Great". Below the swords, the Arabic legend in black enamel "'Uum al-M'aarak" or "Mother of Battles". Reverse: Plain. Ribbon: 30 mm, equal stripes of red, white, and black with a thin green center strips; red 2mm, white 5 mm, green 2 mm, white 5 mm, black 9 mm. The ribbon is made from a coarse, almost "plastic" material.

Edited by Humber

Hi Humber ...I was only saying that the Iraqi Medal looked similar to the Knight Masons Jewel and reminded me of it

You are right, several of the side and obscure degrees have Middle-Eastern writings on them.