News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1860's 41st foot service documents

An interesting survival of an OR's service papers from 1860, covering his service with the 41st regiment and also mentions his previous service with the 76th regiment. Part of it is missing and it appears to be from two documents/service books, though it contains a lot of interesting information.

It will take two posts to show all the pages.

The rest of the pages. Interestingly his recorded service does not match that recorded for the regiment during the period, rather it is appears to be slightly out of sinc, though that of itself is not an issue, as for the period units were quite often widely scattered. I'll show the official recorded movements of the regiment in the next post.

Edited by Jerry B

The 2nd Bn, 41st did infact serve in Corfu(Ionian Islands) in 1851 before moving to Malta and then to the Crimea in 1854. However they returned to England in 1856, before moving to the West Indies in 1857 and then England 1860 and then Ireland in 1864. Companies in the Battalion would have moved as and when a sailing ship was available and often Companies were detached on 'Garrison' duties where small Islands were concerned.

Lovely Documents though and I wonder if it's his Accounts Book rather than his Small Book? I have a large collection of Service Documents myself, which fascinates visitors.

Edited by Graham Stewart

The 2nd Bn, 41st did infact serve in Corfu(Ionian Islands) in 1851 before moving to Malta and then to the Crimea in 1854. However they returned to England in 1856, before moving to the West Indies in 1857 and then England 1860 and then Ireland in 1864. Companies in the Battalion would have moved as and when a sailing ship was available and often Companies were detached on 'Garrison' duties where small Islands were concerned.

Lovely Documents though and I wonder if it's his Accounts Book rather than his Small Book? I have a large collection of Service Documents myself, which fascinates visitors.

Thanks Graham,

The service on Malta in the 1850's was with his previous regiment the 76th.

Some of the pages have duplicate numbers and it appears to be two documents, both since tucked into a single cover.

Thanks Graham,

The service on Malta in the 1850's was with his previous regiment the 76th.

Some of the pages have duplicate numbers and it appears to be two documents, both since tucked into a single cover.

Seems both Regiments were serving in the Med at the same time - 76th arriving Corfu in 1848 & Malta 1850, but this Battalion was a 'Reserve' Battalion of the 76th formed in 1847 - Corfu 1848 - Malta 1850, where it was disbanded. Personnel would then have been given an option of whom to serve with or take a Discharge.

Seems both Regiments were serving in the Med at the same time - 76th arriving Corfu in 1848 & Malta 1850, but this Battalion was a 'Reserve' Battalion of the 76th formed in 1847 - Corfu 1848 - Malta 1850, where it was disbanded. Personnel would then have been given an option of whom to serve with or take a Discharge.

not sure if you have seen this site on the Malta forces Graham, it seems pretty good.

http://www.maltaramc.com/regmltgar/76th.html

http://www.maltaramc.com/regmltgar/41st.html

Hopefully the links will work.

not sure if you have seen this site on the Malta forces Graham, it seems pretty good.

http://www.maltaramc.com/regmltgar/76th.html

http://www.maltaramc.com/regmltgar/41st.html

Hopefully the links will work.

It's very good up to a point but doesn't distiguish beween 1st & 2nd Bn's and Reserve Bn's. I got my information from Westlakes "English & Welsh Infantry Regiments" and also Fredericks "Lineage Book of British Land Forces 1660-1978" in which both mention the Reserve Bn,76th, which is why I suspect your man was transferred on the disbandment of this Battalion.

Items as yours have been little appreciated over the years and it's seems that only in the last few years that Discharge Documents/Small Books have received the attention they deserve - yours in my opinion is unique in the fact that it deals with service outside of our normal understanding of the Foot Regiments.

It's very good up to a point but doesn't distiguish beween 1st & 2nd Bn's and Reserve Bn's. I got my information from Westlakes "English & Welsh Infantry Regiments" and also Fredericks "Lineage Book of British Land Forces 1660-1978" in which both mention the Reserve Bn,76th, which is why I suspect your man was transferred on the disbandment of this Battalion.

Items as yours have been little appreciated over the years and it's seems that only in the last few years that Discharge Documents/Small Books have received the attention they deserve - yours in my opinion is unique in the fact that it deals with service outside of our normal understanding of the Foot Regiments.

Graham,

I am happy to agree that your sources are likely to be more accurate than the site I linked to, or that it does not tell the whole story.

The lack of interest in these earlier documents is a shame, but hopefully over time more attention will be given to them and the information they contain. Interesting that it is for an OR, as I don't think much survives of this type for a soldier such as this from this period.

He certainly got around when he was with the 76th and even married when he was stationed in the America's/Nova Scotia.