News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with sake cup translation please

Brian Wolfe

Help with Sake Cup Translation

I have purchased another sake cup from a dealer who could not or would not provide a translation. I usually purchase from the same three or four dealers, all from Japan, but once in a while I do stray off the “path” and need assistance with the translations.

This blue porcelain cup has a raised army helmet in the bottom along with cherry blossoms and a katana (military sword) painted around the helmet.

Reading the Kanji (right to left) the last two kanji represents “Commemorative” but the first two have me completely puzzled. I hope someone can assist me with the translation.

Regards

Brian

Thank you very much fellows for you assistance.

I've ordered a Japanese-English dictionary of military terms but it was written in 1902 so I'm not sure it will help with much after that date; but it is a another step toward educating myself.

Regards

Brian

Hi Jktu,

I am not sure if I will be able to use the dictionary or not but I would like to be able to translate more on my own.

I've started to save writen Japanese phrases and their English translations on my computer but this is a slow process.

We have a world-class university very close by (University of Waterloo) and I have been thinking of seeing if I could hire a student to assist me with the translations on the cups and other items from Japan as well.

The link you provided will not open up on my computer so I'll try it on my lap top later today, this sometimes works on sites that won't open on my computer.

Thanks again.

Regards

Brian

One dictionary that helped me tremendously over the years is 'A Dictionary of Military Terms, Eng-Japanese, Japanese-Eng.' By Creswell and Hiraoka. Univ of Chicago Press. 1942. My 7th edition is 1946. Incredible resource. You may be able to find it at a low price at online used bookstores.