Who dunnit?

Here's a double side hook EKI that doesn't appear to have been made by Godet. The prongs and pin are broken, so the price was low enough that buying it and then spending time rooting through the archives on a forum or two during cold winter nights was a way to learn about cores, makers, etc.

I've got two makers in mind, but would like to toss this out there for some of you folks who almost good enough to identify these things by the brailled method.

java script:emoticon(';)', 'smid_28')

;)

The backside first to get your attention:

Les

Hi Les,

Interesting cross. I would like to see a close up of the "W" and the 4 inner corners. 1914 GODET ek1s

had a unique pattern to the beading at the inner corners. The crown on yours has much nicer detail

then most Godets i have seen. ----On the other hand, The mounting block for the pin looks very much

like a textbook Godet.

Here is a scan of my godet with hooks. Look at the 4 corners. I have compared the inner corners of

mine (especial the 6 oclock-9 oclock corner) to Godet ekis owned by Tiger1, Claudio and others. This is very unique to Godet. I would say that yours is more than likely not a Godet.

[attachmentid=29402]

Edited by gregM

Here is a scan of my godet with hooks. Look at the 4 corners. I have compared the inner corners of

mine (especial the 6 oclock-9 oclock corner) to Godet ekis owned by Tiger1, Claudio and others. This is very unique to Godet. I would say that yours is more than likely not a Godet.

Greg,

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with your assessment. I have an unmarked Godet, and compared the EK about to Marshall's Godet w/hooks, and to unmarked one I have. It's been posted on the forum here before. After looking at the crown, and other details didn't think it was a Godet at all. In the closeup, the center part of the W is also much higher than on Godet cores.

The side hook stubs or what's there suggests the hooks (1) have been gone a long time because the breakage has had enough wear to start smoothing out, (2) there's no discoloration from heat soldering, and there's no traces of solder or poor workmanship with the way they were joined to the back. Quite possibly the hooks were original to the piece, which raises the question...who dunnit?

Les