News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mystery Feldjägerbataillon badge

I was going to post this photo on the thread for KuK soldiers wearing medals but decided to start a new thread as a) he isn't wearing anything particularly interesting and b) what I am really interested in is the badge on his hat. My understanding is that the KuK Feldjäger battalions were only numbered to 32, as per this website, for example,

http://www.mlorenz.at/Bewaffnete_Macht/02_Jaeger/02_Jaeger.htm

However, this officer has a '36' on his badge. Is he part of the Landwehr, therefore? Does anyone have any thoughts, please?

Yes he is.

The k.k. Landwehr has nearly the same uniform as the Feldjägers (but the Landwehr has silver buttons with regimental number). Otherwise he is a Feldwebel, not officer. :)

From German wiki:

• k.k. Landwehr Infanterie Regiment Nr. 36

86. Landwehr Infanteriebrigade – 43. Landwehr Infanterie Truppendivision – III. Armeekorps Errichtet: 1899 Garnison: Kolomea Nationalitäten: 70 % Ruthenen – 21 % Polen – 9 % Andere Landwehr-Ergänzungsbezirk: Kolomea, Stanislau und Czortków

Edited by Markgraf

Markgraf is correct,

K.K. Landwehr-Infanterieregiment Kolomea Nr.36. This from the 1911 K.K. Landwehr dress regulations showing the pattern of cap badge as worn on the hat. The infantry regiments' badge encompassed the regimental number whereas the Tyrolean Landesschützen regiments had the Tyrolean eagle. The Dalmatian Mounted Rifles, the Landwehr cadet school and the Landwehr Arms and Clothing Depots wore the double eagle.

Regards
    Glenn

Markgraf and Glenn

Thank you both for your timely responses and the interesting comments.

The k.k. Landwehr has nearly the same uniform as the Feldjägers (but the Landwehr has silver buttons with regimental number). Otherwise he is a Feldwebel, not officer. :)

Markgraf, I should have known that he was a Feldwebel - it's the shoulder-straps that give it away, isn't it? - particularly as you went to the trouble to explain the differences in this post,
    http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/60808-kuk-soldiers-wearing-medals-show-your-photos/page-4#entry577748

This from the 1911 K.K. Landwehr dress regulations showing the pattern of cap badge as worn on the hat. The infantry regiments' badge encompassed the regimental number whereas the Tyrolean Landesschützen regiments had the Tyrolean eagle. The Dalmatian Mounted Rifles, the Landwehr cadet school and the Landwehr Arms and Clothing Depots wore the double eagle.

Glenn, what a fascinating and wonderfully precise diagram. I suspect that an original copy of the 1911 K.K. Landwehr dress regulations would be prohibitively expensive - are they available online?

I really couldn't quite get my head round the Landwehr. However, for anyone visiting this thread with similar confusions and with the usual caveats, I found this article on Wikipedia answered most of my questions,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial-Royal_Landwehr

• 1 year later...
    • 1 year later...

Hi,

I am new to this group.  I was very excited to find the photo of the Feldwebel from the K.K. Landwehr-Infanterieregiment Kolomea Nr.36.  My Great-Uncle was also a Feldwebel from the same Regiment.

I am interested in a link on how to determine that the man in the photo was a Feldwebel and a link to the 1911 K.K. Landwehr dress regulations.

I have not been able to find any information on the K.K. Landwehr-Infanterieregiment Kolomea Nr.36. except the basic information from  Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial-Royal_Landwehr.

Troop D, would you please post a high resolution of the back of the photo.

Thank you for any help

Alan

Welcome, Alan. Glad you liked the photo :)

1 hour ago, Al487 said:

I am interested in a link on how to determine that the man in the photo was a Feldwebel and ...

We know that he was a Feldwebel because of the three stars and the lace border on his collar. Google 'Rank insignia of the Austro-Hungarian armed forces'  and you should find many web pages with an explanation of these badges of rank.

1 hour ago, Al487 said:

Troop D, would you please post a high resolution of the back of the photo.

What are you hoping to find there? I ask because I am not sure where I have put the photo and, even if I could find it, it wouldn't show you anything you can't see in the image in the first post, I don't believe

Edited by Trooper_D

Trooper D,

Thank you very much for the information any quick response.

2 hours ago, Trooper_D said:

What are you hoping to find there? I ask because I am not sure where I have put the photo and, even if I could find it, it wouldn't show you anything you can't see in the image in the first post, I don't believe

I was hoping to find any information on when and where the photo was taken.

Thanks

Alan

Alan

I have attached a digitally enlarged version of the image of the reverse shown in the first post. In it you can better see that the studio was located in Czernowitz, what is now Chernivtsi in western Ukraine but was then in the KuK province of Bukovina.

As to when it was taken, there is nothing on the photo to indicate, sadly.

Update: You can find out more about the photographer at the following website; it might help you date the photo,

http://www.museumoffamilyhistory.com/czernowitz-photo-studios.htm

2017-02-22_11-13-16.jpg

Edited by Trooper_D
    Additional information

...so it´s between 1908 and 1912 if source quoted is correct. The medals he won for his craft seen on the reverse could be helpful, too. They should be dated so that you´d get a "not before" date.

GreyC

Trooper_D,

Thank you very much for all your help. I really appreciate you finding the photo and posting an enlargement of the back and finding the website with information on the photographer.

GreyC,

Thank you for the information.

Alan

Edited by Al487