I am slowly attempting to rebuild my collection of medals to the Grenadier Guards, after having to sell many of them about seven years ago, including my cherished Waterloo Medal, which i had vowed to never sell.

Oh well, perhaps I'll get lucky before 2015, the 200th anniversary of the battle.

Hi - you must give us a first name to call you ? I enjoyed seeing your new collection of GG items and medals -

did you find these in the US , or overseas ? There is always a sense of loss when a collection is sold - however,

one of the reasons we collect - apart from our own enjoyment, is as an investment. Should I see anything of

interest for you, I will let you know. Mervyn

Hi - you must give us a first name to call you ? I enjoyed seeing your new collection of GG items and medals -

did you find these in the US , or overseas ? There is always a sense of loss when a collection is sold - however,

one of the reasons we collect - apart from our own enjoyment, is as an investment. Should I see anything of

interest for you, I will let you know. Mervyn

Thanks, Mervyn. My first name is Bob

95% of the items were acquired from the UK; some with medal dealers, some on Ebay.

The miniature MC trio was purchased with the named silver locket of the recipient, Lt. D.H. Riddiford. 1st Battn. Grenadier Guards.

Bob - very nice that you have identification for the min. MC group. Certainly makes it of more value.

Have you ever researched his MC ? Mervyn

No, I really should. I have the three volume history of the Grenadier Guards in WWI, and he is listed a number of times as the transport officer of the 1st battalion. However, no details of his MC action are included.

Is it possible to access London Gazette citations online for free, or a small payment? Thanks.

A nice Grens collection Bob. I have a couple of items for them, but no medals and nothing as nice as what you have.

Thanks, Jerry. My old collection was MUCH better, including a Waterloo Medal ( 2nd.battn,), QSA/KSA pair, and a seven medal group that included medals for the 1898 Sudan Campaign, a QSA, and a 14-15 trio.

I had no choice but to sell at that time; at least I made a significant profit.

Now, I'll likely have to pay 2500 pounds or more for a Waterloo Medal; I paid 750 pounds in 1999! The weak dollar isn't helping, either.

Thanks, Jerry. My old collection was MUCH better, including a Waterloo Medal ( 2nd.battn,), QSA/KSA pair, and a seven medal group that included medals for the 1898 Sudan Campaign, a QSA, and a 14-15 trio.

I had no choice but to sell at that time; at least I made a significant profit.

Now, I'll likely have to pay 2500 pounds or more for a Waterloo Medal; I paid 750 pounds in 1999! The weak dollar isn't helping, either.

I have done it in the past, sold items because I needed the money, some of which I miss having, but in the main, no regrets and of course you have the fun of finding new items.

I only just realised I know you from two other forums Bob. I am also a new member here so good to see other familiar posters.

PS the London Gazette is free to view, but finding award citations is very hard in my experience. I found my dads notification for his MiD, but not the citation.

heres Lt Riddifords medal index card and his citation for the MC and the link to the gazette entry

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30645/supplement/4878

That's great, many thanks! It appears Riddiford was a bit on the older side, being over 30 as a subaltern, and a New Zealander to boot.

I can't say that is the most exciting MC citation I've read. My guess is that would NOT qualify for an MC in WWII.

Well, he was awarded it; you can't take that away from him.

Thanks so much; it is greatly appreciated.

Paddywhack - I would like to add my thanks for your research - makes a big difference to this min. group.

I agree that it is in - some ways - a strange citation - mules, rations ? However, he obviously saved the lives

of his men , and fed the Bn. - so, as good as any other award........ Mervyn