News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

West German Red Cross Service Medal 2nd Class - 1953-1990

I went to the local Spring Militaria Show a couple of weeks ago and this is one of my acquisitions at the show. A cased West German Red Cross Service Medal 2nd Class (silver), 1953-1990. This cross comes with the ribbon suspension for a woman. It was made by Steihauer ü Lück. Only the case is marked with the makers name. The cross is not maker marked. It does have "220" stamped into the end of one of the cross pieces. I do not know what this marking indicates.

The second cased 2nd Class Service medal in my collection came case and made by Steihauer ü Lück as well. This one came with a picture of the award being presented and a newspaper article about the person receiving the award.

The West German Red Cross was recognized by the International Red Cross as the DRK BRD in 1951.

The East German Red Cross was recognized by the International Red Cross as the DRK DDR in 1952.

In 199I the two organizations were joined to form the DRK.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

First of all congrats for your really nice purchase! I could get a few mounth ago also such a nice cased cross, so i can give you an additional info: the 220 indicates the number of issue. Its a very early one. If there is no number on the upper arm as you find onnyour piece its a collector cross, not an official issued one.

Regards from germany

Westfale

Edited by westfale

• 2 months later...