News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi.Friends, I would like everyone's help on the medal bar I have to get.Ask for help in identifying the missing award.Maybe it Saxon -Altenburg bravery medal or am I wrong?Waiting for your opinions.Thank you all.

The ribbon is for a Saxon long service award. Given the lack of other Saxon awards, it was probably a Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung 1.Klasse or 2.Klasse.

Possibly, he was a student at the University of Leipzig when he did his one-year volunteer year, and therefore was in the reserve/Landwehr of the Royal Saxon Army. But he was not a Saxon citizen and ended up in the Prussian civil service, earning the Red Eagle Order. During World War I, he was perhaps serving in or with the Prussian Army somewhere in the X.Armeekorps area, which included both Oldenburg and Braunschweig, getting their war awards.

There is also a chance that the ribbon was for an officer's 25-year Dienstauszeichnungskreuz and he was an Oberstleutnant or higher. In that case, his Saxon orders might have been bumped up to pinback or neck badges, and thus not on the medal bar. But most of these guys would have had other awards, such as peacetime orders from other German states.

Regards,

Dave

Thank you Dave.I think you're right.Simply ribbons at Saxon -Altenburg bravery medal and Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung are very similar.There is more: if the person was awarded the Red Eagle Order it means the officer?Regards.Alexander.

If he was awarded the Red Eagle Order for service as an officer, then yes.

If he was awarded the Red Eagle Order as a civil servant, then likely yes, but possibly not.

Example 1: College student in Leipzig, One-year volunteer in a Saxon regiment, enters Prussian civil service, remains in the Saxon reserve/Landwehr but never seeks a commission. Gets his Red Eagle Order as a civil servant. When World War I starts, he is a Vizefeldwebel der lLandwehr or Vizefeldwebel d.L.a.D., and perhaps because of his age gets a commission as a Lt.d.L.

Example 2: College student in Leipzig, One-year volunteer in a Saxon regiment, enters Prussian civil service, remains in the Saxon reserve/Landwehr and is commissioned a Lt.d.R. Stays in Saxon service long enough to get an LD2 or LD1, but no other Saxon decorations. When the war starts, he is a Saxon OLt.d.R.a.D. or Lt.d.R.a.D., working for the government in Hannover. He volunteers or is called up in Prussian service and never is put in for a Saxon award.

Example 3: Same as above, except he is still in Saxon service. Landwehrbezirk Leipzig I and II were the Kontrollbezirke for Saxon officers living in Prussia. In the 1914 Saxon rank list, there are several officers there, Hauptleute der Landwehr and Oberleutnants der Landwehr, who have the Red Eagle Order 4th Class and the Saxon LD1. Several of these do not show up in the published Saxon award rolls. That may be because they were too old or in vital civilian jobs and so never went to the front, or did go to the front but were killed in 1914, but it's also possible one of them could be your guy. Unfortunately, there are also no rolls for the Oldenburg and Braunschweig awards, so there is no way to confirm or deny.

• 2 months later...

If I remember correctly from discussions with Rick the Italian Messina earth quake medal was given to men aboard ships of the German navy that assisted the Italian. Does anyone know which ships were involved? It may be possible to ID the owner.

Hi Paul,

the two German Navy ships were SMS Hertha and SMS Victoria Louise as well as from the German

merchant marine with NDL - Dampfer Bremen,Therapia and also the Hamburger Bergungsdampfer Salvator.

But I think that it is the ribbon from the saxonian Dienstauszeichnung or Landwehrdienstauszeichung.

Regards

Andreas

Landwehrbezirk Leipzig I and II were the Kontrollbezirke for Saxon officers living in Prussia.

Hi Dave.

The responsibility of the Landwehrbezirke (the saxon ones especially) is an interesting topic for me. Can you mention me some reference works?

Gruß Stefan smile.png

I don't have a reference. I just tracked the Saxon reserve or Landwehr officers whose civilian jobs I knew, and with few exceptions, the ones living and working in Prussia were controlled out of Leipzig.

On the other side, Prussian reserve and Landwehr officers living in Saxony appear most often under Landwehrbezirk Halle a/S.