News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Freikorps Items.

Many thanks, I will try to get some better pics of the second eagle, it would probably benefit from a little gentle cleaning while I'm at it !!! I will also attach pics of several other items, upon which I would value your opinion.

Many thanks, I will try to get some better pics of the second eagle, it would probably benefit from a little gentle cleaning while I'm at it !!! I will also attach pics of several other items, upon which I would value your opinion.

The 2nd class isn't promising. The dead give away is the double line in the eye (they never made them like this) and the enamel work looks recessed below the silver framing, which only happens with modern cold acrylic enamel. Close-ups will help confirm this.

Hello again, I'm afraid that my camera skills leave much to be desired, however, I have taken several pics of the 2nd Class eagle and hopefully these will show the detail a little better. I have two of the enamelled 1st Class eagles which are, more or less identical, apart from the bottom hook fittings, one of these, is, I guess, upside down. There is also a non enamelled version and I show all three of these together. I'm rather unsure about the Baltic Cross, there are holes for 4 prongs at the back, but there are only actually, two prongs. The other item that I have shown, is, I think, an award from the Austrian Carinthian Freikorps, I can't say that I have really searched for one, but I have yet to see another award like it. It seems that this award was given to members of the Carinthian Freikorps, which were set up to resist incursions into Southern Carinthia, by, what was then, forces of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, later Yugoslavia

My feeling is that the SA 2nd class is indeed a fake. The eye is the main detail that gives it away. You'll notice that the eye-ball is open creating the double line effect. This is wrong. The 3 x 1st class are original. If you look at the eyes on the 1st class enamel versions, they have a dot for the eye which creates the 1-line effect. it's a small but significant detail that sends up red flags. Also, the enamel work on the 2nd class is concave and not flush with the silver framing details, due to shrinkage of the cold enamel when it hardened. This does not happen or does so only minimally on hot, glass enamel used on originals.

I think the Baltic Cross is ok and the Kartner-kreuz is ok, as well.

Edited by bolewts58

I am most grateful for all of your thoughts on my little collection, I am thinking, that just the one suspect item, out of all of these, is not too bad at all. I guess that the very faded and tatty looking ribbon plate that the 2nd Class eagle came on, gives it an air of authenticity that it really does not deserve. I have had these items for many years now and I no longer collect such insignia, having long since been priced out of this particular interest. Hopefully, however, my items will be able to find themselves a new owner, who will be able to carry on, from where I had to leave off !!!

I agree with bolewts58's observations of the SA II class. With the funny eye it looks a bit worried.

Nice little collection by the way!

Edited by mchapman

I have determined that the ribbon on the SAII is actually for the Hannover Langensalza medal 1866. The wide trapazoid mount and the way in which the ribbon is sewn is very typical of the mid-19th century period.

So, someone artificially aged and distressed the SAII and put it with the genuine old ribbon making for a very convincing attempt to fool a collector.

This type of enamel eagle has been around for at least 20 years and only in recent years has it been identified as fake.

Edited by bolewts58

That has got to be an excellent bit of detective work on your part, Brian, I did think that the ribbon plate was an authentic piece, although, sadly, it seems, for a different award altogether.