News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Decorated Priests

JapanX

• Replies 146
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 years later...
    • 3 months later...

www.deviantart.com/klimbims/art/Vasily-Nimensky-Priest-of-the-military-hospital-452512950

Vasily Nimensky - Priest of the Vilna military hospital

Participated in the First World War. During the War he was padre of the 106th Infantry Regiment Ufimsky. Along with the rest of the regiment after the Battle of Stalluponen was in German captivity. For bravery was awarded the Order of St. Anne 2nd Class with swords, and a medal.

0000.thumb.jpg.9b2fa1a072d71cda93a60bbea37ddf7b.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 10:11, peter monahan said:

Any information on how these men earned the medals?  I would assume as military chaplains.

You mean in general or any of these photos in particular?  The citations I have seen for higher clergy are usually that they took good pastoral care of their flock.  Only occasionally do I come across a citation for a specific action, such as for an army chaplain encouraging the men during a battle. Of course, during a war there would be a slew of these.

Here's some random examples:

1814 Aug 30 - Archimandrite Innokentii of the St. Petersburg Theological Academy, awarded St. Anne 2nd class with diamonds for successfully "finishing the first six years of the course".  He taught church history.  Two other clergy, at the same place and for the same action, didn't get a medal, but rather a kamilavka (I think a clerical stole), and a life pension.

1834 Jan. 27 - Priest Timofei Ostrikov of the Nikolaevskii Cathedral in the town of Yepifan was given a gold medal on a St. Vladimir ribbon to be worn in a buttonhole, along with 300 rubles, for saving the life of townsman Silvestr Yegorov during a fire.

1834 Jan. 13 - Deacon Ivan Znamenskii of the village of Komarov in Belev district given a gold medal on a St. Vladimir ribbon to be worn in a buttonhole for saving the peasant child Pavlov from drowning in the river Iset.

1834 Feb. 24 - Thirty clergy, mostly Protoierei or Arkhimandrit, awarded St. Anne 2nd or 3rd class for "services and zealous works".  They were mostly from seminaries or churches; one was the Protoierei of the St.-Petersburg Post Office chapel.

1841 Sep. 6 - Bishop Pavel Strashinskii of the Roman Catholic Augustow Diocese (Eparkhiya) awarded a St. Anne 1st class for "praiseworthy service."

1842 - Chaplain Poradiev of the Kabarda Infantry Regiment awarded a year's salary for taking part in affairs with the mountaineers.

1844 Dec. 12 - 23 clergy awarded St. Anne 3rd class for "excellence in accordance with the statute of the order."

1845 March 8 - Hieromonach (senior monk) Makarii Kametskii at Fort Golovinskii awarded St. Vladimir 4th class with ribbon for courage during an attack by a band of mountaineers on the fort who seized three of the bastions, and when a bayonet charge took place, on 16 July 1844.

1853 April 1 - 17 clergy awarded St. Anne 3rd class for "service in accordance with the statute of the order." Mostly of Protoierei rank. One was Chaplain Georgii Orlovskii of the 1st Instructional Carabineer Regiment.

1855 July 3 - Hieromonach Nikandr of the Balaclava St. George monastery, awarded St. Anne 3rd class for selflessness during fighting against the enemy.

1870s - Protoierei Aleksandr Polikarpov Vladimirskii, professor at the Kazan University, held the St. Anne 2nd and 3rd classes, and St. Vladimir 3rd and 4th classes.

Thanks for the information, McConrad.  Being of that turn of mind, I just assumed that they would all be military awards for something associated with the the Russian Army.  Silly assumption.  Good pastoral work sounds a logical reason too.  Great citations!