Hello all

I am trying to research an IGSM 1936 - 39 Medal to confirm his clasp entitlement, can anyone assist me on the best place or way to do this

the medal was awarded to:

Lt. JAG. BUSS. 1 - 3 G.R

Regards and thanks in advance

Hello all

I am trying to research an IGSM 1936 - 39 Medal to confirm his clasp entitlement, can anyone assist me on the best place or way to do this

the medal was awarded to:

Lt. JAG. BUSS. 1 - 3 G.R

Regards and thanks in advance

is that his full name?

Edited by paddywhack
  • 4 weeks later...

Do you actually own the medal to the recipient that you have here queried?

I ask, as the India General Service Medal 1936 was never issued without a clasp, so if there is no clasp on the medal, it has either been removed (unusual) or the medal was damaged at some time.

1/3 G.R. as a battalion qualified for both of the clasps issued to the IGS 1936, viz 'North West Frontier 1936-37' & 'N.W.F. 1937-39'. Note however that not all individual member sof 1/3 G.R. qualified for the 2 x clasps, as many would only have qualified for one or other of the clasps depending on the specific dates that when they entered/left the qualifying area.

The recipient was JOHN ARTHUR GREGORY BUSS, the son of a Clergyman, who was born in Mauritius, Indian Ocean, on 10 October 1912. The family appear to have returned to the United Kingdom in 1916.

Whether the recipient served with 1st Battaliion 3rd Gurkha Rifles, throughout the Second World War, I know not, but if he did, he would have qualified for several of the un-named Second World War campaign medal issues, including The 1939-45 Star, The Burma Star & War Medal, and either the India Service Medal or Defence Medal - the latter 'either, or' medals dependent on where, when and for how long he may have served in non-combat areas of British India during the Second World War

He married firstly, Margaret Anis Shingleton-Smith (who was 20 years of age) at Nai-Tal, India in 1940. He is also recorded as having married again at Kensington, London, in 1970, when he married Dorothy E. France

He is known to have resigned his commission from the Indian Army - at least by November 1946 (at which time he is recorded as being a

member of the Indian Political Service). In November 1947, he is recorded as 'Retired' from the Indian Political Service and returned in that month and year to the United Kingdom. As there is no mention/record of a Mrs Buss, accompanying John on his voyages in 1946 or 1947, it is likely that she had either died prior to that time, or that the marriage had otherwise been dissolved by November 1946

At some stage after November 1953, John accepted an appointment in South Africa, as he is recorded in 1953 as being employed as an Accountant in Cape Town.

John Arthur Gregory Buss is recorded as having died in England sometime in the third quarter of 1994

As information.

Mark