News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Brigade Ersatz Bataillon 34 - in search of data

Hello,

I was able to obtain a grouping from a German soldier who was a member of the Brigade Ersatz Bataillon 34 (part of the 4the Ersatz Division).

I know he was wounded on 14 November 1914.

Is it known where exactly this unit was involved in combat during the Battle near the river Yser?

Thanks in advance,

Hello Chris & Andy,

Thanks alot. So my soldier was involved in the battle to take possesion of Dixmude (Diksmuide nowadays). According his Militärpass he was involved in;

* Schlacht an der Yser: 18.10.-30.11.14 => the above named info is about this part.

Any idea on the following (exact) places the Division was during the underneath period?

* Stellungskämpfe a.d. Yser: 1.12.14-25.5.16

Attached for you is his award document for his Iron Cross 2 nd class. Awarded on 22 December 1914.

Cordial greetings,

Hello Chris,

Thank you. Any idea on where i can find more information (books or online) about this Division during their time at the Western Front?

As he was wounded he only received his wound badge (black) in april 1918 after the institution of that award. At that time he was already wounded a second time (1916) and shortly afterwards a third time. Find attached his both award certificates.

Cordial greetings,

Hello

I have a grouping from this Division for Bernhard Kniep. The grouping has an EKII Doc. signed by the Div. Kom. Albert von Werder. I also have some photos from the frontline if you are interested.

I hope this helps on your research on the 4th Ersatz Division.

Now I am wondering how come this soldier from this division earned the Turkish War Medal, does anyone has any information on their activity in the Eastern Front?

Tan

Edited by tan berk

Hello Tan,

Very nice grouping you have there. Thanks for sharing that one. Interesting to see his medalbar and award document for the Hanseatic Cross and that there are also still pictures surviving.

Cordial greetings,

Stijn

ps: if this one ever needs a new home feel free to contact me.

Hello Tan,

Very nice grouping you have there. Thanks for sharing that one. Interesting to see his medalbar and award document for the Hanseatic Cross and that there are also still pictures surviving.

Cordial greetings,

Stijn

ps: if this one ever needs a new home feel free to contact me.

Thank you for your compliments Stijn

It is always a nice to shine some light to the fighting units and the personalities behind it. I bought the grouping just because it had the Turkish War Medal and it was represented also the ribbon bar. I will let you know if I decide to part with them (:

Tan