News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The grabenpanzer: what do w know?

The Grabenpanzer

post-17203-1246007774.jpg

Introduction
    Some of us already started a topic about the subject, but i.m.o. it was nessecary to bring everything together to have a complete overview. I see the following as an addition to their work an certaimly do not want to disrespect any of the other writers.
    The German steel body armour is one of the most sought after items that was used in WW1. Almost every felgrau collector is looking for one or has found one when he was lucky.
    I know this overview will never be complete, but additions are allways more then welcome.

Models
    Generally we speak about 2 different models, the first model is the plain one, the second has the 2 hooks and rifle support. It seems 3 other variations were made, but very little is known about them and they are seldom encountered.
    Mod. 1:
    The first model was introduced in march 1916 (another source says october 1916). The breastplate is connected with two shoulderplates bij 3 rivets each. The two intermediate plates and the bottom plate are secured by two straps. Between every moving plate were two felt pads (connected with the straps) to reduce the noise of the metal plates while the person who was wearing the Grabenpanzer moved around. The Grabenpanzer was mostly worn by static troops, such as MG units, sharpshooters, …
    Mod. 1b:
    This is a hybride model. It has all the features of mod. 1, but two slits were added in the breast plate to make it possible to strap the Grabenpanzer secure to the body. This reduced the noise and it was easier to move while wearing the Grabenpanzer.
    Mod. 1c:
    This is also a hybride model. It’s the same as Mod. 1b, but with two support hooks added. These hooks were meant to support the belt with ammo pouches or other heavy equipement.
    Mod 1d: This is actually a mod 1 with a cut out at the right shoulder for easier firing a rifle. Some sources say this was an artisanal alteration, others say it was factory produced.
    Mod 2: This model has all of the features: The slits for the strap, the two support hooks, the rifle support bracket.

Manufacturers
    Maybe this list is not complete, so feel free to add other manufacturers or additional information.
    ET: Eisenhüttenwerk Thale, Thale / Harz
    BF: F.C. Bellinger, Fulda
    Bell L: R. Lindenberg A.G., Essen Remscheid / Hasten
    3 intertwined rings: Krupp, Essen
    Crowned B: Unknown
    RV: Rheinmetal Viersen
    ◊ : Unknown
    Mostly the markings can be found at the bottom of the breast plate and on top of the other plates. Sometimes on the shoulder plates. Normally, when all parts are numbered, they all bear the same number. This is not always the case, which indicates that they were sometimes put together like this in the factory. Some Grabenpanzers have only one stamp, at the breast plate or one of the shoulder plates. It’s also possible there are no manufacturers stamps at all.
    The ET Grabenpanzers normally have the size stamped next to ET.
    AK stamps (in ink) are found at some specimens, but in most cases they are faded or completely vanished.

Technical
    The German army ordered 500.000 Grabenpanzers, but it’s not certain they were all delivered. They were produced from March 1916 till late 1918.
    The Grabenpanzer came in two sizes: N° 1 (largest) and N° 2 (smallest). These numbers were stamped with a large ink stamp or they were painted at the inside of the breast plate. Some sources say there is also a N° 3 size, but I’ve never seen one live or in pictures…
    The weight of a Grabenpanzer is approx. 10 kg. This is depending on the manufacturer and the size.
    The grabenpanzer was forged out of steel with the following componants:
    Ph 0.033
    Si 0.055
    Cr 0.230
    C 0.370
    Mn 0.540
    Ni 1.780
    Tests have been done and show other measurements. See this link: http://www.archive.o...ge/144/mode/1up
    According the Brinell hardness test method (http://en.wikipedia....l_hardness_test) the steel of the Grabenpanzer has a resistance of approx. 150 kg/mm².

Color
    About the color of the Grabenpanzer there are discussions going on. Some sources say that Grabenpanzers can have a black or even a grey factory applied color. In my opinion this is partially true, because this is a base coating (anti rust), without the end coating. The standard color af a Grabenpanzer should always be the dark olive color as the M 16 and M17 steel helmets have. It’s maybe possible some Grabenpanzers left the factory in their base coating, meaning that they should be painted at the front (camouflage?). This is not officially confirmed, but I’ve seen Grabenpanzers with black under the dark olive, that indicates the previous to me. Other opinions are always welcome of course, but actually we need hard evidence for this.

Dimensions
    1) Cheast plate: 335 x 490 mm
    2) Shoulder plates: 110 x 220 mm
    3) Upper middle plate: 150 x 490 mm
    4) Lower middle plate: 150 x 340 mm
    5) Curved bottom plate: 180 x 250 mm
    6) Thickness of the plates: 3,25 mm
    7) Overlapping of the plates: 25 mm
    All measures can be different, depending on size and manufacturer.

Interesting links and sources

Some pictures I used came from the internet a long time ago. I can’t find the original sources anymore. If someone sees a picture made by him and has a problem with it, please contact me. Again, I don’t want to make advantage of someones work, it’s just to show some important pictures for reference.
    A lot of information came from the following links:
    http://www.walhalla....hl=grabenpanzer

http://www.walhalla....hl=grabenpanzer

http://www.archive.o...armor00deanuoft

http://lagrandeguerr...ht=sappenpanzer

http://www.archive.o...age/n0/mode/1up

Grabenpanzer mod.2, size 2. Produced By ET
    This one has different numbers on every part, including the shoulderplates... It has also the AK mark...

post-17203-1246008435.jpg

post-17203-1246008457.jpg

post-17203-1246008509.jpg

Bottom plate
    post-17203-1246008535.jpg

Lower middle plate
    post-17203-1246008552.jpg

Upper middle plate
    post-17203-1246008572.jpg

Breast plate
    post-17203-1246008587.jpg

Left shoulder plate
    post-17203-1246008604.jpg

Right shoulder plate
    post-17203-1246008724.jpg

post-17203-1246008740.jpg

Here is what I wonder.... what exactly was the purpose of these?

I have read for MG troops, sentries etc...

I can see the sense if it was meant to be used by someone facing an advancing enemy... you are protected from the front... however, an MG troop or sentry may be protected by earthworks in front of them... but their back would not be protected... and shell landing behind them would allow wounds with no protection from the panzer... surely this fact was not overlooked... there must have been a reason only the front was protected... it would have been just as easy to make a plate that protected front and rear?

Another thought....

Can we not assume that the Germans are practicle minded enough to have known that it would be very difficult to fire a rifle with one of these? Especially the first model.

Would that maybe point to it being originally being meant for troops that do not shoulder a weapon... i.e. MG troops... then later being adapted for use with a rifle?

Question for a champion.... how is the best way to display one, without the straps breaking?

I assume a complicated way of wiring it all up?

You answered the question already...

I took that photo back in the 1980s!

I hope you don't mind using it here? At the moment they have a huge sticker in front of this grabenpanzer... impossible to take a decent picture of it...

but their back would not be protected...

The grabenpanzer could also be worn backwards...

Would that maybe point to it being originally being meant for troops that do not shoulder a weapon... i.e. MG troops... then later being adapted for use with a rifle?

I think it was designed to protect in the first place. As with a lot of newly introduced material, things were adjusted after a while...

Some pictures...

post-17203-1269357382.jpg

post-17203-1269357397.jpg

post-17203-1269357405.jpg

post-17203-1269357418.jpg

post-4-1269371539.jpg

Another thought....

Can we not assume that the Germans are practicle minded enough to have known that it would be very difficult to fire a rifle with one of these? Especially the first model.

Chris read Innovation in the German Army 1914-18 by Gudmundsson in short order the rifle became a side arm pretty much.

• 2 weeks later...