News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Heavy Battery in action AR51 supporting IR 88 1936?

Guys,

I was going to post this in the articles section but it is clearly not my work.

I thought Lt Jucknies may be amused at his work being published by his former enemies.

Seems he was tasked by the CO of IR 88 to prepare this brief!

Hope it is of interest!

This was amongst the other Op order papers from Sunday,

Jock :)

Hello Jock.

Again an interesting find.

I located the following information regarding who I believe this officer to have been, namely:

Bruno Jucknies, Obstlt. DoB 17.05.1905, died of wounds 24.10.1943 at Sanitaetskompanie 2/251, motorisiert HVP ( Hauptverbandsplatz ) Novo Alexejewska; a grave site has not been established as yet. Information per Volksbund.

He was apparently decorated with the Honor Roll Clasp after death with date of 27.11.1943 as Oberstlt. Art.Rgt.7;

Received the German Cross i.Gold as Major, IV./Art.Rgt. 256 on 05.Apr.1943.

I am quite certain that it is him because of the rarity of his last name, his arm being Artillery and all his shown assignment were arty.

Bernhard H. Holst

Bernhard,

Thank you for your research, I guess all of the paperwork (Op orders) is left over from the pre war years as I think it is all from him as it was in one folder. Shame he has no grave but then so many don't. Honor Roll is quite unusual and posthumus, I have often wondered about the mechanics of it all as I thought the HR was obsolete when DK came into being? Always something new to learn every day.

IG, as a fellow Gunner I knew you would apreciate it.

Bernhard,

Thank you for your research, I guess all of the paperwork (Op orders) is left over from the pre war years as I think it is all from him as it was in one folder. Shame he has no grave but then so many don't. Honor Roll is quite unusual and posthumus, I have often wondered about the mechanics of it all as I thought the HR was obsolete when DK came into being? Always something new to learn every day.

IG, as a fellow Gunner I knew you would apreciate it.

Hello Jock.

Since my last post I had a look at the 1944 German Army Ranklist because of the peculiar last name and did not find any one with such name.

As to the Honor Roll Clasp:

the clasp itself was instituted only in early 1944. Before that it was simply an inscription on the Honor Roll of the army. ( Navy and airforce had their separate ones) without any "outer" distinction. It never became obsolete just rarely awarded ( about 4,000 or so).

The German Cross i. Gold was instituted in Oct. 1941 and did not rank between the Iron Cross 1.class and the Knight Cross as often assumed.

Oftentimes when a proposal for a Knight Cross was received by the reviewing authority at the Personnel Office and was deemed inadequate for that level of award the Honor Roll or the German Cross was instead recommended. This could have been the case with our officer here.

BTW: the one assignment to IV.Abteilung shows he was a "heavy" qualified officer.

It seems there is no other trace of him unless any division or regimental history contains mention of him.

Keep this type of material coming.

Bernhard H. Holst

Bernhard,

Well, I a'm 'grounded' this weekend, I have to do some house work, maybe I will be allowed out to play tomorrow if the house is 'spick n span' tonight!

I shall ply the wife with wine and 'egg banjo's' this evening to see if that alters her mood.

Bernhard,

Well, I a'm 'grounded' this weekend, I have to do some house work, maybe I will be allowed out to play tomorrow if the house is 'spick n span' tonight!

I shall ply the wife with wine and 'egg banjo's' this evening to see if that alters her mood.

Hello Jock.

And what pray tell, are "egg banjo's"?

Personally I am no longer able to perform chores of the smallest kind. Just able to drive myself and the other half of the management to appointments and such. But it could be worse....

Wishing you a decent week-end never the less,

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

Bernhard,

An egg banjo is a British Military nick name for a 'runny fried egg sandwich', normally brandished in two hands, and when bitten into results in an explosion of egg yoke that will typicaly land on your lap, the following reflex is to move the sandwich away from the body out to a flank and then the free hand cleans the resultant spill in a strumming motion so that you look like you are playing an air guitar or banjo! Hence 'egg banjo'. It is the extent of my culinary skills! I am allowed out to play tomorrow!

Have a good weekend too!

Edited by Jock Auld

Bernhard,

I think you know your fellow countrymen better than me but I think a lot of Germans of a certain era can not throw anything away 'just in case' they need it. amongst the things I find are krankenkasse reciepts, bank statements, mail, receipts etc. Lots date from the 40s until they die today. It must be a German illness. There is always something to find even if it is only a button! Now who is more sick me or the Germans? Unfortunately the more modern kids have no problem binning/selling Opa/Omas stuff.

Bernhard,

I think you know your fellow countrymen better than me but I think a lot of Germans of a certain era can not throw anything away 'just in case' they need it. amongst the things I find are krankenkasse reciepts, bank statements, mail, receipts etc. Lots date from the 40s until they die today. It must be a German illness. There is always something to find even if it is only a button! Now who is more sick me or the Germans? Unfortunately the more modern kids have no problem binning/selling Opa/Omas stuff.

It's not only a "German" thing. I'm sure this spans across borders. My mother-in-law recently turned 80 and is trying to get her daughters to start taking things from her house - things that I wonder why they are still around!

But then again, my mother-in-law's family comes from Kronach, Bavaria!

Edited by IrishGunner

Hello Rick and Jock.

One must keep important documents, of course. Perhaps some day one may have to prove one's existence. That I have to do once a year for the French Social Security to continue to draw about $ 150/month.( for 6 years French military service and what I paid into German social security for the few years I worked there).

That aside we have begun to shred in a serious way to get rid of stuff.

Will make it easier later.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

Hello Rick and Jock.

One must keep important documents, of course. Perhaps some day one may have to prove one's existence. That I have to do once a year for the French Social Security to continue to draw about $ 150/month.( for 6 years French military service and what I paid into German social security for the few years I worked there).

That aside we have begun to shred in a serious way to get rid of stuff.

Will make it easier later.

Bernhard H. Holst

I've contemplated scanning everything first then shredding.

I don't own anything personal that is important enough to shred. If someone wants to wade through it then it time from their life they won't get back!

That's probably what Jucknies' family thought. Lucky for us you found it.