News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1./Sich.Btl. 989 Help

All adds up now Bernhard, Hogo Rab Von Spesshard, sounds like a posh name, seems he was a court secertary by trade then called up in May 43. I like his discharge papers where he has been issued 3 days rations and the seperate authority to were uniform until Jan 46 after which he is in trouble, I have not seen one of these forms before! Nothing fancy, no medals but I don't think I have another from General Government area.

Jock :)

What was the function of a "Sicherungs Bataillon"?

Hello Rick.

Sicherungs units were usually charged with security duties in rear areas and consisted of more aged personnel. Never the less on the eastern front especially those assignments could become dicey in a hurry.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello Jock.

REF: # 4: I can not recall a like document in which the wear of uniform is allowed for a certain length of time. But then what were they to wear? Their underwear? Of course every and all offending insignia were to be removed. I recall wounded officers from our local military hospital who were given the freedom of the surrounding area and who wore their uniforms with the national eagle removed.

I should check like discharge papers in some groups I have for such stipulation.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello Jock.

I have reviewed three Allied POW Discharge papers, all issued by U.S. Authorities.

One had a similar stipulation in the form of a stamp like addition on the bottom portion of the reverse. It is faint and will probably not scan well. But this is what it says:

" The bearer of this is liable to arrest if he does not on reaching his home immediately alter to civilian cut or dye another color other than blue his uniform".

The German language version given is slightly different in that it refers to American, German and other uniform pieces and adds to blue also olive-green.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

It is something I have not seen before. I do have one somewhere that gives advice on how to civilianise uniform by changing the colour for sure and I think the cut but I can't remember and it will be in a box somewhere.

Jock :)