News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

notned

Oops! As you may have noticed, I am still learning the finer points of medal/ribbon precedence. I thought about that for a moment, but then,,,naaah... the learning curve is getting steeper all of the time. Thanks for tonight?s lesson.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Wild Card,

I am not sure what you mean...

I was not being sarcastic..please beleive me...i genuinely think you are right with the Prinzen idea...I just felt a bit stupid for not picking up that myself...

As for the ribbons...i was referring to the fact that the Centar medal ribbon was folded over the KDM...i think that the KDM ribbon should cover the Centar medal in order of precedence.

I was just posing another question about the irregularities of the bar...as the Stogie is asking of us...

Regards

Paul

Wild Card,

I am not sure what you mean...

I was not being sarcastic..please beleive me...i genuinely think you are right with the Prinzen idea...I just felt a bit stupid for not picking up that myself...

As for the ribbons...i was referring to the fact that the Centar medal ribbon was folded over the KDM...i think that the KDM ribbon should cover the Centar medal in order of precedence.

I was just posing another question about the irregularities of the bar...as the Stogie is asking of us...

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Gosh, please do not be concerned, I never for a moment detected any sarcasm. Precedence aside, you are absolutely correct (unless Stogie can convince us otherwise) about the centenary ribbon being laid over the ?70 -?71 ribbon.

Incidentally, what are your views with regard to prinzen and reduction pieces? We see prinzen EK?s all the time and other prinzen decorations on occasion as well; but it has always struck me that the virtually unheard of reduction pieces rate a recognized status as well. Might be worth a thread - what do you think?

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Wild Card,

Phew! i am glad there was no offence taken... :)

As far as the Prinzen dilemma...i am not very well versed in this form of medals and am not sure what to make of them...

Why were they even used? Maybe a thread explaining these will be a useful addition to our knowledge archives.

Maybe a more knowledgeable gent can shed some light on this...

Kind regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

I think that this might be worth pursuing. I will get some pieces togrther (my collection is spread out to several locations) and see what I can do.

Meanwhile, I would ask that any members who have any insight to this prinzen/reduction issue to let me know what their thoughts are.

Also - What?s the answer Stogie? Congratulations to Christian for pointing out what my old eyes and fixed thoughts failed to see.

Best to all,

Wild Card

Christian is correct! He wins!

You have the NC 1870/71 KDM as awarded on the Combattant ribbon!

This is a legitimate and correct presentation of a rather scarce award. I had an actual document for this once upon a time to a Doctor. The Centennial medal does indeed appear to be a Prinzen as well. Regarding the style, this "big bow" is a legitimate style used pre-1900, typically only seen with officer bars, occassionally seen with other ranks.

A very scarce and desirable bar that I was unfortunately outbid on. Somebody in Germany is very lucky. This is actually the first and only mounted example I have seen on the open market in a very, very long time! Thanks to all who played!

Christian, you may save your 10% "coupon" for future use if there's nothing in there that catches your eye right now. Congratulations!

indeed a nice medalbar - even if you would never recognice if it would lay between other medalbars with big enamel on (including me for sure)!

but i guess, on these NICE items you are able to get them sometimes for "almost" nothing, with getting something rare / or at least not often seen!

stogieman:

thanks a lot for the discount!

but if it is possible i'd like to "trade" it for another quiz :blush::catjava:

its very enjoyable to take part in a quiz, but the quizmaster is the one who have to recognice

"IT" (in this case the noncombattantes medal on the combattants ribbon) first - so to him is the wreath!

christian

Gentlemen,

For the benefit of those who may have missed it when originally posted last November, and relative to the topic of this thread, I thought that it would be appropriate to present this little group again.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

ok, that`s regular... two different docs for the same award. But these are two different types of KDM - one for non-combattant and one for non-combattant on combattant ribbon. In my eyes this is not possible because it is not a bravery award - it is a rememberance medal for the 70/71 war and the type of medal and the type of ribbon shows the status of the soldier in this war.... combattant medals for fighting soldiers, non-combattant medals for the nurse in the home hospital and a non-combattant medal on a combattant ribbon for the doctor in the frontline - all examples of course... it makes no sense to give one man two medals even if he sould have served in a hospital in germany and in a lazaret at the front later - or am I completely wrong?

Gentlemen,

With regard to the medal bar in post #19 and the subsequent questions regarding it, I would like to offer what little additional information that I have. I bought this bar some years ago from George Seymour, who had done the best he could to identify. ultimately without success, the recipient.

He did theorize, as Heiko put it in post #24, that the recipient had served in a hospital unit on the front and then a hospital back at home. That is the best and only explanation that I can offer as well.

In closing, I would like to present a ?little extra? as pictured below.

Thank you all for your interest and comments,

Wild Card