News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

HMAS Sydney commemorative pin.

Hi guys,

this is very interesting little badge i just picked up.

I beleive it was produced by the Royal Australian Navy Releif Fund in December 1941 to assist the dependants of the the crewmen from the HMAS Sydney (sunk by the Hilfskreuzer Kormoran) and the Parrametta (sunk by the U-559).

Both ships were sunk in November 1941.

It was declared that December 19,1941 would be celebarated as "Jack's Day" to help raise money for the dependants.

The badge shows an image of the Sydney along with the words "Jack's Day 1941".

The badges were sold at the price of one shilling,the price being visible above the name of HMAS Sydney.

On November 19 1941 the Sydney and the Kormoran sank each other off the west coast of Australia.

Sadly,all hands were lost on the Sydney.

Regards,Martin.

Hi Mervyn,

i purchased the badge from a seller in Canada.

Anyway,a somewhat related item here.

This is a document that was sent from Germany to a Kormoran crewman who was intered at Murchison POW camp in Australia.

The document informs the crewman that he has been awarded the "Krigeabzeichen fur Hilfskreuzer".

I beleive that many of the survivors of the Kormoran were intered at Murchison.

Regards,Martin.

I found this on line.

A quote from the Liverpool,New South Wales Newspaper,Thursday 11 December 1941.

"JACKS DAY,FOR DEPENDANTS,HMAS SYDNEY AND PARRAMETA".

"The gallant men of the Sydney and Parrametta have gone.

They fell at their posts,fighting to keep the war away from Australian shores and preserve that peace which we have enjoyed in this country for 150 years.

The least we can do for them is to carry out what they would all wish-to ensure that their dependants who have lost so much will at least be cared for,and that our sympathy for them is more than empty words".

Great words.

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

Martin - your German document is another unusual one - and the newspaper article typical propaganda from the period -

although that doesn't make the losses less important. Do you collect this type of material ? Can't be easy in California to find

items. The British in the Boer War and in WW 1&2 sent large numbers of POW's for internment in Australia.' They set up

camps and special guard units. Some little time ago I had one of the rare painted truncheons from one of these

camps. Mervyn

Martin - Do you collect this type of material ? Can't be easy in California to find

items.

Hi Mervyn,

yes i am interested In Kriegsmarine items,I collect mainly photographs and award documents now.

I find most items on dealer sites in Germany,Canada and here in the States.

A large majority of my photo collection came via the e-stand at the WAF Forum.

Recently,i have renewed my old interest in British items,regimental cap badges,sweetheart badges and home front badges

Regards,Martin.