Grosse Deutsche Kunstaustellung 1942 Folder (A3 ish)

Jock Auld

Guys,

Not in the best of condition and sadly not complete but that was reflected in its price. I have pictured the more interesting prints that remain. Sorry about the flash glare but it would not go away as these are just bigger than A3.

Jock :)

Hello Jock.

Going strictly from memory but complete catalogs such as this fetch big money these days. Again from memory shown are also the Grosse Urkunden for the Knights Cross to the Iron Cross ( formal award documents) and higher. They come on the market once in a while.

As shown the company marketing this catalog was owned by Heinrich Hoffmann, Hitler's favorite photographer who amassed a large fortune from his activities.

Typical 3rd Reich art. I believe a large number of such is still in storage here in the USA including some pieces over which it is difficult to argue whether they really belong into the Nazi influenced art movement ( just M H O ).

Bernhard H. Holst

Bernhard,

There is a documentary about the 'non art' as it were. I think a lot of it is also 'lagered' somewhere in Munich? I wonder when it will become acceptable for it to be catogorised as 'history', it did happen after all?

We will probably both be dead by then!

jock :)

• 2 weeks later...

Some fantastic war artists on display in there

Wilhelm Sauter who was buried alive in WW1 on the Somme by an exploding shell who went on to produce some great stuff in WW2

and

Claus Bergen who was a war artist in both World Wars - to the Kaiser, no less, in WW1. He painted mainly naval stuff and completed pictures of the battle of Jutland. An article was printed about him in Life magazine in April 1964 which shows many of his paintings. They are very sought after by collectors.

His best work was probably when he actually went on combat patrol with U-Boat 53 in 1917. An amazing artist.

Edited by Spasm