News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Battle of Mons, 23 August 1914

As many know, today is the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Mons, the first engagement between the British Expeditionary Force and the German Army.

Of course, the 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards, along with E Battery, Royal Horse Artillery, exchanged fire with the German Kürassier-Regiment Königin (Pommersches) Nr.2 on 22 August.

So, here's to those old cavalrymen and horse gunners...

360461_med.jpg

"Teenage Tommy - Memoirs of a Cavalryman in the First World War" (1996, reprinted 2013) by Richard Van Emden - the memoirs of trooper Benjamin Clouting of the 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards is well worth reading. Among its contents are descriptions of the action at Casteau on the 22nd as well as the charge at Audregnies on the 24th.

"Record of the 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards in the Great War 1914-1918" (1925, reprinted 2002) by Rev Harold Gibb contains six pages on those early actions of the war.

/Jonas

Jonas, thanks for the info on the books!

You're welcome Rick! There's more in "History of the 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards" (1982) by J.M. Brereton, chapter XIII "The Great War" section 1. "First Blood". A corporal Ernest Thomas of 4th Tp C Sqn are mentioned as having fired the first rifle shot of the war on 22nd August.

In the 4th/7th DG book is also mentioned No 4 gun of E Battery RHA as having fired the first artillery round at 1115 hours on 22nd August at Bray (Mons-Charleroi road).

/Jonas

Thanks mate.

Now i am trying to find out more info on my grandad's brothers,my great uncles.

I know one was in the RA and the other was in the Black Watch.

Also,i am trying to get information on my maternal grandfather who fought in WWI with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

I am fortunate in the fact that they all survived the war.

Regards,Martin

Edited by Martin W