News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Scots Greys Medal

Hi - Jeff. A very unusual commemorative piece. Silver and enamel cost money - so, there is a good reason for it's

quality. I am intrigued by the small figure standing on an epaulette and 'reaching out '. Perhaps one of our Members

will be able to tell us more ? Mervyn

The heart-shaped design is not one I commonly associate with military awards (other than some wound medals). I associate that design more with fraternal organizations (e.g., Odd Fellows, etc), but I would expect more lodge symbols to be included in the design. I wonder if there were various fraternal lodges connected with the regiment.

The Royal Artillery Association has charitable activities to help veterans and families of the Regiment of Royal Artillery. I know they have badges/pins; it's possible there are medals as well.

The heart and "outstretched hand" imagery could possibly suggest something similar for the Royal Scots Greys; a charitable veterans organization extended from the Regiment.

Edited by IrishGunner

This came in today from the curator of the regimental museum:

"The medal is called the "Hands Across the Sea Medal". It was given to the wives of servicemen who got together during World War I to send presents to regimental soldiers at the front. Some knitted gloves, some just sent presents. It is an unofficial medal issued by the regiment...The ribbon is made in the regimental colours of the Royal Scots Greys".

So, now we know.

Edited by JBFloyd

Hi Jeff,

I have in my collection the same medal and a post card. It appears that the regiment (or some other body?) sold these medals and the postcards to raise funds for the troops who were interned in Germany.

There must be more to the story as the Badges, as they described, were sold on 17th July 1915 (ONLY ONE DAY?)

First pic is whole postcard

second pic is close up of top corner

third pic is is detail from the reverse

Gordon