News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nice Iron Cross.

I recently got this , and the reverse is in very nice condition, but the obverse is quite scratched. I am loath to paint it, or 'restore' it, but would like to clean it up a bit, without ruining it. Any ideas?

I'd leave it as it is but you could try soot from a diesel exhaust pipe. It won't make it look perfect but maybe a little better than at the moment. If it doesn't work you wouldn't have damaged it either.

Tony

The photos are too blurred to put on the Forum. I've looked at it through a glass and it is 'Z4' It cost me ?26. Can you tell me anything about it? I no nothing about these!

John

Guest Darrell

The photos are too blurred to put on the Forum. I've looked at it through a glass and it is 'Z4' It cost me ?26. Can you tell me anything about it? I no nothing about these!

John

This is the "wideframe" maker marked piece that is known as a "24" :food-smiley-004:

Guest Darrell

I recently sold one on e-stand for about $100 US .. it was in pretty decent shape.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm always paranoid about trying to restore core's. A friend of mine uses the polish made for cast iron stoves, "ZEBO". It's got the consistency of toothpaste but non abrasive and he's made a good job of his. I tend to subscribe to the school of thought that says that if the piece is not in danger of deteriorating leave it. It is however each to his own of course.

Hi Chaps, and thank you for your advice. Dave B. , I had a look at the 'eye' , and it appers to have a small rectangle stamped on it. It would be on the Left side of the eye, as you look at the Cross, face on. It very hard to make out what's in the middle of the rectangle. It looks like a J or an I, but don't quote me on that!

John

Now that you mention it, it is an acorn. The Acorn is on its side, with the stalk facing forward, and the 'cap' to the rear of the Cross. I'm afraid my camera isn't good enough for the job.

What is the significance of the Acorn? And I take it the 24 means the model of Iron Cross?

John

"24" is the official contract supplier code for Arbeitsgemeinschaft der Hanauer Plakettenhersteller in Hanau am Main. The acorn mark is probably some sort of QA mark. Iron Crosses made by Alois Rettenmaier often have, as well as the makers LDO code L/59, a range of other marks, circles, squares, dots, the tilde mark ( ~ ) and even a tiny swastika.

That these various additional marks found on EKs are quality control marks is speculative, but logical.

That is one sweet piece and I would not consider touching it in any fashion.

What a beauty - great patina! What character. It just says "I was there;" a part of history. It looks as proud and battle-scarred as was the nation it served.

Besides, dabbing a bit of paint on it would be like trying to fix a missing arm with a bandaid. Leave the old gal alone to her proud, quiet dignity, sir! smile.gif

Here's my salty old dog:

I've just purchased this "salty" one for it's engraving. I'm going to leave it alone though. The obverse photo is a little dark, but the paint finish has seen better days.

Edited by Glenn R

John, I'm assuming 1 MGK is 1 Machine Gun Company. Unfortunately I'm told that Reserve Infantry Regiments are difficult to research for individual officers. I'm reliably informed though, that Reserve Infantry Regiment 214 was a Mecklenburg Regiment.

Cheers,

Glenn.