News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New sword

speagle

Ed - a nice present. There are a few problems - but,nothing that can't be put right , should you wish to go to the trouble.

It is a Victorian 1890's pattern officer's dress sword. They were worn at all times when in conflict and for parades etc..

Originally it would have had two scabbards - one being the dress pattern and heavily nickled. There were two suspension

rings and it hung from the cross belt at an angle - or, to put it correctly - at the trail. The other scabbard was covered in pigskin

and hung straight down the left side from a special leather 'frog' which hung from the Sam Browne cross belt.

This was the general purpose scabbard.

The blade seems in good condition and the etching is clear. Don't heavily polish this - the blade was originally acid etched

and you will rub this off. The cypher on both sides is for GvR - Georgius 5th Rex . This shows that it almost certainly

dates to WW1 when with the great influx of men and new officers there was a requirement for swords. You only show one

side - the little patch under the guard is called the Forte and yours is showing the proof mark for when the blade was tested.

Many people think that this is the Star of David and that the sword is a Jewish one - not so. Turn the blade over and take

a photo of the factories name and mark.

The big problem is that the guard - probably when the nickle flaked off - has been stripped and badly re-painted in silver

paint. Also, the metal bands that ran around the grip are missing. Any competent silver smith should be able to strip the

silver paint and re-nickle. Chroming - which he will probably try to talk you into should be avoided - if possible. It looks

very garish.

Apart from that you have a nice sword. Give the scabbard a good polish with either a hide cleaner or, a quality

furniture polish. Mervyn

Ed - it opened as a PDF. Nice to see them side by side. Both sides still have their engravings in good condition. One

is the Royal cypher for GvR with the Crown above and sunbeams radiating. The other side is the full Royal Coat of Arms.

I can't make out the side for the manufacturer's details - if you can read this just tell me the wording.

Neither can I make out serious pitting - certainly it is not around the important areas - the Cyphers. Is it at the base of the blades?

Unfortunately, this is quite common. Officers on parade in wet weather will sheathe the sword with the blade still wet. This allows water to drip to the bottom and cause the pitting and rust. Try cleaning it lightly with something like a good chrome cleaner.

When I had swords in the shop with this problem I used to have our silver smith lightly buff the area. The darkness never really

goes and it is called 'Bruising'.

Hope this helps - ask anything else. Best wishes Mervyn

Ed - it should be in the panel immediately opposite the proofing mark. Perhaps it has been polished off ?

Paul - they were very much weapons - even though they had become an officers' mark of rank by 1914.

There are many known cases where officers' used their swords in trench battles and in the open. I personally

carry a sword stick at all times - even in the wheelchair. A 3 foot blade would make most thugs think twice !

(90cm). Do US officers still carry a sword on ceremonial occasions ? The South African officers' did until the

change of Govt. in 1994. Now only the officers' in the Citizen Military Regiments. Mervyn