News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 3 months later...

That's what I thought too. He has a chubby face but I can't really tech how thick he is. In the photo he doesn't look to overweight from the part of the torso you can see.

Been searching two years for a photo in field gray

Bernhard Josef Maria von Hartz (* 12 April 1862 in Regensburg ; † 20 August 1944 in Villages ) was a Bavarian Infantry General .

Family

Hartz was born into a family that in 1825 in the Bavarian hereditary nobility was charged. He was the son of the late Bavarian Lieutenant Colonel Leonhard von Hartz and his wife Hildegart, born Litzlkirchner. His father had recently in the 13th Infantry Regiment served. Hartz married on August 2, 1894, Pauline Benzino. The marriage produced a son and a daughter were born.

Military career

After visiting the cadet corps Hartz was as Portepeefähnrich the body infantry regiment of the Bavarian army transferred. He graduated from the military academy in Munich, was born on April 9, 1884 to thereafter second lieutenant promoted and served from 1887 as adjutant of the III. Battalion. From 1892 to 1895 graduated Hartz, in the meantime the first lieutenant was promoted, the Military Academy , the pronounced him to qualify for the General Staff. [1] As a captain he was from March 1897 Chef of the 12th company, then came 1899 to the Central Office of the General Staff and in the same year to the General Staff of the I. Army Corps . 1900, he was transferred to the Ministry of War . Here Hartz worked in the Department of General Army affairs. He also served as a member of the upper Examinations Commission for candidates of the higher military-administrative service. 1903/04 in the General Staff of the 5th Division in Nuremberg active, Hartz was with his promotion on September 21, 1904 Major set back to the Central Office of the General Staff and the General Staff after Berlin commanded. For a period of two years Hartz was also extra-budgetary excessive military member of the Bavarian Division at the National Military Court . Leaving in his command during the Great General Staff, he was transferred as a battalion commander in the Infantry Life Guards on 28 August 1906. On October 1, 1906, he resigned in the military service for one year and commanded the III. Battalion. Subsequently appointed as a lieutenant colonel to head of department at the Central Office of the General Staff, Hartz was ordered back to Berlin in the General Staff. On 24 January 1910 he was trusted with the leadership of the Infantry Guards Regiment, Hartz promoted on March 7th to Colonel and then appointed him on 26 March 1910. commander of this regiment. During this employment he was on 31 October 1911, the Cross of Honor of the Order of Merit of the Holy Michael excellent. [2] On September 30, 1912 released by this command, Hartz was subsequently appointed commander of the 2nd Infantry Brigade appointed and shortly afterwards to Major General transported. Already on March 27, 1913, he was the brigade again and was once more in command of the Great General Staff in Berlin. Hartz was one of the relatively few Bavarian generals who were commanded repeated there. [3] King Ludwig III. paid tribute to his achievements in March 1914 the award of the Knight's Cross of Merit of the Bavarian Crown.

With the outbreak of the First World War Hartz was ordered back to Munich and the chief quartermaster at AOK the sixth Army appointed. As such, he made ​​the border skirmishes and the Battle of Lorraine with. After that you commanded him back into the Great General Staff and Hartz recorded on 7 September 1914, the Military Merit II. Class with Swords [4] and in October and November 1914, the Iron Cross II. and I. class. [5] In May 1915, to Lieutenant General transported, Hartz was born on September 7, 1915 appointed commander of the 2nd Infantry Division appointed. This, he led the Western Front including in the lossy battles at La Bassée and Arras to Verdun and the Somme . Although formally until February 8, 1917 commander of the division, Hartz was on 25 January 1917 the Bavarian Military Representative in the General Headquarters and appointed with the star of Red Eagle II. Class awarded with swords. [6] From this post he was released on 6 April 1918 and served until May 10, 1918 in representation as leader of the General Command zbV 57 . Subsequently appointed leader, Hartz took until the war ended at the position battles in Champagne part. [7]

After the Armistice of Compiègne on 13 December 1918 relieved from his command, Hartz was established in January 1919 with the character adopted as a general of infantry in retirement.

Found on Wiki

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2015/post-2230-0-71554000-1420336416.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2015/post-2230-0-22986000-1420336484.jpg

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2015/post-2230-0-09530400-1420336502.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2015/post-2230-0-87947800-1420336549.jpg

More docs

I read

Bavaria

Crown Order 4 -K4

St Michael a honor Cross - ME

Military Merit Order 3 - MV3

Military Merit Order 2 with Swords - MV2b m Schw 7.9.14

Print Regent Jubilee Medal - JM

Long Service 2 - DK2

Prussia

Red Eagle Order 3 - PrA3 pre-war

Iron Cross 2 - PEK2 7.9.14

Iron Cross 1 - PEK1 7.10.14

Saxony

Albert Order 2 class with Breast Star - SA2b pre-war

Albert Order 2 class with Breast Star with Sw - SA2a m Schw. 8.12.14

Wurttemberg

Crown Order 2 with Breast Star and Swords - WK2b m Schw 2.12.14

Hesse

Hessen Bravery Medal - HessTapf.M 23.10.14

Brunswick

War Merit Cross - Braunschig.Kriegs.Verdict.Kreuz 5.7.15

Anhault

Friedrich Cross - Anh-Friedr.Kr. 26.2.15

Austria

Order of Iron Crown 2 - ÖEK2

There are several I can't figure out

JnS5a

ChD2

And a few I can't read at all....

Help

Generalluetnant Bernard von Hartz

(Division Commander B 2ID, General Corp Cmdr 57, Great General Staff, Quartermaster 6 Army)

Bavaria

Crown Order 4 -K4 pre-war

St Michael a Honor Cross - ME pre-war

Military Merit Order 3 - MV3 pre-war

Prinz Regent Jubilee Medal - JM pre-war

Long Service 2 - DK2 pre-war

Military Merit Order 2 with Swords - MV2b m Schw 7.9.14

Prussia

Red Eagle Order 3 - PrA3 pre-war

China Commemorative Medal in Steel - ChD2

Iron Cross 2 - PEK2 7.9.14

Iron Cross 1 - PEK1 7.10.14

Saxony

Albert Order 2 class with Breast Star - SA2b pre-war

Albert Order 2 class with Breast Star with Sw - SA2a m Schw. 8.12.14

Wurttemberg

Crown Order 2 with Breast Star and Swords - WK2b m Schw 2.12.14

Hesse

Hessen Bravery Medal - HessTapf.M 23.10.14

Brunswick

War Merit Cross - Braunschig.Kriegs.Verdict.Kreuz 5.7.15

Anhault

Friedrich Cross - Anh-Friedr.Kr. 26.2.15

Austria

Order of Iron Crown 2 - ÖEK2

Japan

Order of the Sacred Treasure Knight's Cross. - JnS5a

And a few MORE that I can't read at all....

Edited by ccj

True, it's not a good representation at all. I think it's the only one Mark has. Probably best left I decorated unless an officers can be found. I doubt Hartz can be found.

Charles,

The China Commemorative medal is a not a Chinese award but a German Reich award instituted in 1901 to commemorate service in the Boxer Rebellion. The version in steel was for those in the homeland who facilitated the deployment. Just google China-Denkmünze.

Regards

Glenn

• 3 years later...
    • 4 years later...
    On 04/01/2015 at 21:47, Glenn J said:

Charles,

JpS5a: Japanese order of the Sacred Treasure Knight's Cross.

ChD2: China Commemorative Medal in Steel.

Regards

Glenn

Glenn, this really helps. I think I see he received the Military Merit Order (Bavaria), 1st Class with Swords (BMV1⚔) on 28 February 1918, but would Bavarian award is below it (20 February 1918)? Can you read it? Thanks! 

Bernhard von Hartz (decorations) - Kopie.jpg