News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Battle Sept/Oct 1914 - name help

IrishGunner

I'm looking for information - from the German point of view - regarding the First Battle of Artois, (27 September - 10 October 1914). I believe this is the French name for the battle and suspect the Germans called it something else.

I'm particularly interested in the II. Bavarian Armeekorps during this time - possibly somewhere between Albert and Baupame.

Any help or directions toward an online resource is appreciated.

IG,

I see a lot of WW1 press publications with the entire newspapers from the war bound in hard covers. Like I say these are not uncommon and I can keep my eyes peeled if you want. Of course that will be only the press opinion as released at the time? I think you are after a more military opinion rather than the given public opinion? Still might be interesting to see how it was reported.

Jock :)

Jock, those newspaper accounts are often very good. I often search the New York Times online archive for events of a specific day. There are many eyewitness reports, as well as official reports from capitals frequently published. I find that newspapers in those days were much better at simply printing the facts and leaving the conclusion to the reader.

I also have a NY Times printed book with news photos of the first months of the war in 1914. A lot of photos that are otherwise unavailable.

Today, news is more about sensationalizing the facts with outrageous opinions - because that's what sells the news to a public that is unwilling (or incapable) of coming to their own conclusions.

Did this action though stop the German flank being turned and as such was it a success?

Jock, this period of the war was called the Race to the Sea. After the Battle of the Marne, both sides continued to look for opportunities to turn the northern flanks, trading actions and ground until they reached the Belgian coast. That is when things settled into the static front that would last through the remainder of the war.

100107885.pdf

Edited by IrishGunner