News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German 40mm Bofors cart?

Jock Auld

Guys,

This is obviously ok but my library has let me down, it reminds me of the British bofors 40mm AA Gun cartrige? Did the Germans capture them in quantity enough to be used perhaps at Dunkirk? If so we did not carry out our distruction of equipment drills correctly. I remember reading the Gun Drill book as a kid thinking I would like to give it a go, load a reversed shell unfused and fire on charge super by lanyard that would be fun. Still J (Sidi Rezegh) Battery managed something similar in BATUS around 1994/5 if my memory serves me well. The gun bunnies blew up a 'nasty' AS90. Luckily now serious injury, I digress, sorry!

Jock :)

Captured examples

The Wehrmacht used a number of Bofors guns which had been captured in Poland and France. The Kriegsmarine also operated some guns obtained from Norway.

In German naval use, the gun was designated the "4 cm Flak 28", and was used aboard the cruisers Admiral Hipper and Prinz Eugen toward the end of the war.[6] Beginning in 1942, several E-boats were equipped with the Flak 28 to enable them to fight against British MGBs and MTBs on equal terms.

Japan captured a number of Bofors guns in Singapore and put them into production as the Type 5.

Both Japan and West Germany continued to use the Bofors gun throughout the Cold War. The Federal German navy used it in destroyers, frigates, and fast patrol boats until 1984, in minesweepers to the present day.

Chris,

A good link, I shall have to do some digging on the case, perhaps it's for a different weapon system but it is dated 42 so they may have proffed them from us?

jock :)

Edited by Jock Auld