News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Montenegro - Bravery Award

• Replies 60
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

In the LG we can see many another montenegrin awards,

but Obilich Medal - only once and

BEFORE DANILO ORDER 1st class !

Hi all,

Another recipient of the Montenegro Obilitch Medal (Gold) was :

General Henry Seymour RAWLINSON (1864-1925), GCB, GCSI, GCVO, KCMG, KStJ

Vide:

3826 SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 21 APRIL, 1917

Edited by lilo

• 4 years later...
    • 1 year later...

this set is made in Russia and both items have the cyrillic punchmarks IO = Igor Ozeretski

И.Озерецкiй / I.Ozeritsky - Moscow. Master silversmiths, late19-early 20 century.

His full mark looks like this

this set is made in Russia and both items have the cyrillic punchmarks IO = Igor Ozeretski

И.Озерецкiй / I.Ozeritsky - Moscow. Master silversmiths, late19-early 20 century.

His full mark looks like this

If the piece is marked by simply "ИО", then it`s not Ozeritzky.

Silverware was his speciality.

But there was (unknown to me) maker ИО, who manufactured badges and orders ;)

Edited by JapanX

• 2 years later...
    On 13 באפריל 2006 at 18:19, Dave Danner said:

The 1923 War Department report on decorations conferred in World War One to U.S. servicemen indicates the following Montenegrin awards:

Obilitch medal - 1

Order of Prince Danilo I - 125 (1 Grand Cross, 10 Grand Officer, 62 Commander, 20 Officer, 32 Knight)

Medal for Military Bravery - 94

Medal for Zeal - 10 (4 Gold, 6 Silver)

War cross - 1

I don't know how complete this is.

We know another Montenegrin War cross ? :) 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...

"... MONTENEGRO, original die for medal "MILOŠ OBILIĆ" probably A.Berthrand, Paris, UNIQUE ..." sold by barper.com 

IMG_0254.JPG

1 hour ago, paja said:

Once again, thank you so much for images from Delande's catalog! 
    I hope you won't mind me asking you again, but are there other Montenegrin decorations in that catalog? :)

May be tomorrow :)

I check Delande catalogs, and not see another Montenegrin awards, only Obilic Medal for Bravery 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪. 

But another producer from Paris - Arthus Bertran make Bravery medals 

silvered bronze 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

and silver 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 13 באפריל 2006 at 18:19, Dave Danner said:

The 1923 War Department report on decorations conferred in World War One to U.S. servicemen indicates the following Montenegrin awards:

Obilitch medal - 1

Order of Prince Danilo I - 125 (1 Grand Cross, 10 Grand Officer, 62 Commander, 20 Officer, 32 Knight)

Medal for Military Bravery - 94

Medal for Zeal - 10 (4 Gold, 6 Silver)

War cross - 1

in London Gazette I see 25 names of british officers and soldiers with Montenegrin Bravery medals

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Petar II Petrović-Njegoš wanted to establish an order for heroism, named after Nikac. However, senators Filip Đurašković and Stevan Perkov Vukotić suggested that the medal be named after Miloš Obilić, as he had killed the sultan and Nikac the pasha.

Nikac Tomanović

The history of Nikac is known by poems collected by Sima Milutinović Sarajlija and Petar II Petrović-Njegoš, the Prince-Bishop of Montenegro (1830–1851), and subsequently collected epic poems.

Early life

Nikac was born in Rovine, of the Sanjak of Herzegovina of the Bosnia Eyalet, Ottoman Empire (now western Montenegro). He was the son of Vuk Tomanović, of the Cuce tribe, a contemporary of Danilo Petrović (1696–1735). Vuk was not a glavar (head) in the Montenegrin tribal assembly. The Tomanović hailed from Old Kuči (eastern Montenegro).

Stories

In ca. 1750 Nikac and his 40 companions penetrated through an Ottoman army base of 20,000 men, killed the Kaiha Pasha, and Nikac succeeded, though wounded, to "cutting his way back" with a few surviving men.It is said that he and his 40 men came to surrender themselves to the pasha, then killed him in his own tent, like Miloš Obilić had done to the sultan.

According to another story a general with 45,000 men invaded Montenegro but was defeated by vladika Vasilije Petrović and killed by Nikac, who gave the general's sabre to Vladika Sava.He was then sent to Dobrota, near Kotor, to heal his wounds.

According to an epic poem, he murdered Odo Beg Mušović.

Nikac took a charge of the collected haraç (tax) to Hamza Pash] As Nikac was feared by the Turks, Hamza accepted this. Jašar Babić however, disapproved, and went with his armed band to steal Nikac's livestock.Early at dawn, Nikac and Jašar met and fired their guns at the same time, killing each other.] According to another story, Nikac stops the stealing, recovers the sheep, kills thirty Turks, and takes seven or eight prisoners.

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...
    On 3 ביוני 2017 at 21:17, Daffy Duck said:

just one additional question.

If the round (globe) suspension is mark of AB production, which is cylindrical on my medal? ...

Now I have some medal too and can to say - these medals with cylindrical suspension like austrian VM production 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg