News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Few More Side Caps.......

Good Morning Everyone.......

Even though I have sworn to keep to my collecting theme I have been picking these up over the years and just thought that you might like to have a look at a few that I have.....

Mike

1) Pictou Highlanders
    2) 14/20th Hussars
    3) Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps
    4) Royal Corps of Signals
    5) Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers
    6) Lord Strathcona Horse (Between the wars according to Museum)
    7) 16th Lancers (Boer War Period)

Edited by QSAMIKE

• 2 years later...
    11 hours ago, Bayern said:

Nice caps , a question : why the hussars use a prussian eagle as badge ? 

The regiment was renamed in 1798 for The Princess Frederica as the 14th (The Duchess of York's Own) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons and allowed to use the Prussian Eagle as its badge and has used it ever since in various forms......

M.

Another question : About when this type of sidecaps were introduced in the british Army ? they have a neat austro hungarian flavour . some are almost identical to AH cavalry sidecaps . and the AH caps are modelled in the Bocskai cap of hungarian roots. It could be of interest to search about the cause of the apparition in the british Army of precisely this pattern of sidecap and not other 

34 minutes ago, Bayern said:

Another question : About when this type of sidecaps were introduced in the british Army ? they have a neat austro hungarian flavour . some are almost identical to AH cavalry sidecaps . and the AH caps are modelled in the Bocskai cap of hungarian roots. It could be of interest to search about the cause of the apparition in the british Army of precisely this pattern of sidecap and not other 

Hi Bayern......

They came out in the 1850's - 1860's but were not really popular till the 1880's.....   At that time they were a design called Garrison caps which morphed into the side cap.....   A number of our units had the side cap and went away from them to the Beret.....   I have a side cap that was used by the R.C.M.P. during WW2 for less than a year and they went to a beret......

Mike

3 hours ago, BlackWatch said:

So many lovely side caps and glengarries. Mike you have some great side caps, I also like the Pictou Highlanders glengarry. Jerry, what a nice looking side cap, I love it. 

thanks BW.

Another of mine, Victorian officer of the Welsh regiment volunteer battalions glengarry.

Welsh regiment VB officers glengarry 1881 to 1896 G.jpg

Victorian glengarries are quite rare, never mind to a Welsh regiment volunteer battalion. Yours from what I can tell is in very good condition for its age. What a lovely glengarry. I like the red backing to the badge, makes it stand out. Thanks for sharing. 

Good Morning Everyone......

For your viewing pleasure......

Here are a few more......

1. The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) Victorian

2. 48th Highlanders of Canada (Dated 1936)

3. Chaplain, W.W. 2

4. Corps of Signals, W.W. 2, British

5. Les Fusiliers Mont-Royal, W.W. 2

Mike

DSC01458.JPG

DSC01459.JPG

DSC01460.JPG

DSC01463.JPG

DSC01464.JPG

Mike,

I absolutely love your Victorian Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) glengarry. I've never seen a Victorian one available for sale personally, so quite rare I'd imagine. Just a beautiful piece, really. I also like your 1936 dated 48th Highlanders of Canada glengarry. 

Here's a couple caps from my collection. First one is a rare 1941 dated Black Watch Home Guard side cap with plastic economy badge. Second cap is my WWII period 48th Highlanders of Canada glengarry. 

Best regards,

-Jamie

BlackWatchsidecap.jpg

48thglengarry1.jpg

20 hours ago, BlackWatch said:

Victorian glengarries are quite rare, never mind to a Welsh regiment volunteer battalion. Yours from what I can tell is in very good condition for its age. What a lovely glengarry. I like the red backing to the badge, makes it stand out. Thanks for sharing. 

Thanks BW.

Another of mine, 2nd Battalion Royal Welch Fusiliers officers coloured filed service cap made in India just before WWII

RWF officers FS cap Indian made 3.jpg

On 6/10/2017 at 03:59, Jerry B said:

Thanks BW.

Another of mine, 2nd Battalion Royal Welch Fusiliers officers coloured filed service cap made in India just before WWII

RWF officers FS cap Indian made 3.jpg

Jerry, another beautiful side cap to a Welsh regiment. I love the cap badge, it looks so nice and really makes the cap stand out. From what I've seen on this forum and warrelics, you have quite the collection of Welsh (and some non-welsh, but you main collecting is welsh?) regiment helmets and headgear. I am similar (have stuff to English and Scottish) but mainly collect to the Scottish regiments of both the British and Canadian armies, Victorian-WWII period. Thanks for sharing! 

Best regards,

-Jamie

Thanks Jamie,

indeed, Welsh is my main interest but I have a lot of Headgear and other items from throughout the UK including 3 Scottish Glengarry's and 1 Tam o Shanter, though nothing too exciting among them.  I have a fair few corps items, such as RA or RE caps and uniforms but more Welsh than any other single group.  I have quite a large collection of WWI medals of which easily 95% are for Welsh units or Welshmen and the same for metal badges, but my collection of cloth insignia covers the whole range of British Army units.