News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Memorial Scroll (can't find named serviceman anywhere)

Hi,

I acquired this framed Memorial Scroll recently and have been trying to research the serviceman listed on the scroll without any luck. I can't seem to find a reference anywhere. I've checked the National Archives Medal Index Cards, the CWGC and Ancestry; all have returned no results. Am I going wrong somewhere?

The scroll is named to Gunner Edmund Richard Darkin, Royal Field Artillery.

Geertsen

Unfortunately not all are available:

"The majority of WW1 service records for ranks other than officers were destroyed during a 1940 air raid. Those that survived - fewer than 40% - are available either at Kew (WO 363, the so-called Burnt Documents), or on-line through Ancestry. The chance of finding a service record varies greatly from regiment to regiment."

Maybe the Arty type chaps on here will be able to help. You might find some rolls through the Royal Field Artillery sites. Sorry, not much help but it might be why you can't find your man.

Wow! Thank you very much Owen! The funny thing is, I bought the scroll in a second hand shop just outside Richmond! There must be a high chance that's him and it's spelt incorrectly on the scroll...? Thanks again for your help.

Cant find him on the CWGC, I have had this before. You need to get hold of a copy of Soldiers who died for the RFA, I have had occasion where a person is not listed on the CWGC but is listed in the relevant volume of soldiers who died.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I would put money on this being the man as listed on the CWGC:

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/306086/DARBIN,%20EDWARD%20RICHARD

Name: DARBIN, EDWARD RICHARD

Service No: 960622

Date of Death: 15/08/1918

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery, 104th Bde. Ammunition Col.

Grave Reference: I. D. 19.

Cemetery: HILLSIDE CEMETERY, LE QUESNEL

Additional Information: Son of Harriet Darbin, of 147, Lower Mortlake Rd., Richmond, Surrey.

Edited by ayedeeyew

I would put money on this being the man as listed on the CWGC:

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/306086/DARBIN,%20EDWARD%20RICHARD

Name: DARBIN, EDWARD RICHARD

Service No: 960622

Date of Death: 15/08/1918

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery, 104th Bde. Ammunition Col.

Grave Reference: I. D. 19.

Cemetery: HILLSIDE CEMETERY, LE QUESNEL

Additional Information: Son of Harriet Darbin, of 147, Lower Mortlake Rd., Richmond, Surrey.

Edit - and armed with that service number, I got the following MIC:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D2080916

Reference: WO 372/5/164347

Description: Medal card of Darbin, Edmund R

Corps, Regiment, No, Rank: Royal Field Artillery 1473 Gunner, Royal Field Artillery 960622 Gunner

Date: 1914-1920

Held by: The National Archives, Kew

Legal status: Public Record

Edited by ayedeeyew