News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Is this a first?

With the conclusion of the Afghanistan Campaign (and I assume the end of the issue of the OSM Afghanistan), am I right in thinking that at this current time it's the first occasion in military history where no British soldier is deployed anywhere in the world were a medal bearing the Queen or Kings effigy is awarded?

Good Morning......

A good example of a campaign where no medal was issued is the First Boer War...... They did not like giving out medals for defeats.......

Mike

Edited by QSAMIKE

Although the Cape of Good Hope General Service was issued in 1900 for campaigns which took place in Transkei and Basutoland during 1881, the year of the 1st Boer War.

Paul

Talking under correction, but the Cape of Good Hope Medals were awarded for colonial campaigns that did not have anything to do with the first Boer War. Interesting. Will have to go and read up on this one.

Thanks for planting the seed Paul.

Norman

Norman my answer was based on the premise of the first post which stated that no medals were being awarded for any campaigns. While I except that Transkei and Basuto campaigns were in no way related to the First Boer War they dis take place during the same period and a medal (albeit belatedly) was issued.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...