News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Hospital ship , location unknown.

A long shot - would anyone have any id on this hospital ship and the location ?

I found it in an old wallet belonging to my father , no date or note on the reverse.

name of the ship can almost be made out , Manca or manco ??

I cannot be 100% certain.

Unfortunately I have no background information on the photograph.

If anyone is intersted I can send a higher resolution jpeg to them.

Mail me to james@cameron8888.fsnet.co.uk.

Thanks to all in advance.

james S

Could it be one of the US hospital ships from the Korean war? I can't remember their names, unfortunately...

The (green) stripe between the crosses indicates a military hospital ship (as opposed to a civilian hospital ship).

/Mike

Mike,

Thank you for the info on the ship.

I had no idea about the colouring to denote a militray ship , none at all.

My father had no connections with Korea so i am inclined to think this must be a WW2 photograph .

Thanks again for you reply, much appreciated. :beer:

Could it be one of the US hospital ships from the Korean war? I can't remember their names, unfortunately...

The (green) stripe between the crosses indicates a military hospital ship (as opposed to a civilian hospital ship).

/Mike

99% sure this is the RFA Vessel 'MAINE', the second to have the name. A lot older than you probably thought

MAINE

[attachmentid=30197]

Built: 1906 by D&W Henderson & Co. Ltd., Glasgow.

Tonnage: 4,688 grt.

Engine: Single screw, Triple expansion by builder, 12.5 Knots.

Built for Harris & Dixon & Co. Ltd., as Heliopolis and purchased by the Admiralty for conversion in 1913 at Pembrokeshire Dock. Initially called Mediator but on the wrecking of Maine off the Isle of Mull in 1914 was renamed Maine. She proved unsuitable for the work required and was sold back to her previous owners in 1916.

There were 5 RFA vessels called 'Maine' (RFA called all its hospital vessels 'Maine') Number 4 technically was not commissioned & the build of no 5 was not completed

RFA Maine- Hospital Ship (3)

The third ship to be named Maine was originally launched as the SS Panama in 1902. However she was purchased by the Admiralty in 1920 for use as a Hospital ship with the Mediterranean Fleet. She entered service after conversion in 1922 and was mainly based at Malta, although in 1926 she spent a period at the China Station. In 1935 she attended King George V's Silver Jubilee Fleet Review off Spithead, hosting government guests. For this role her hospital markings were removed. On 20th February 1928 Maine broke her moorings in a storm at Malta and was grounded. Whilst at Alexandria during the Second World War Maine treated more than 13000 patients and on 6th September 1941 a bomb narrowly missed her, causing some damage. She was paid off on 21st February 1947 and was sold for breaking up.

RFA Maine- Hospital Ship (4)

The fourth ship named Maine was originally built in 1925 as the 'Leonardo da Vinci' by Ansaldo Soc Anon. In 1941 she was captured at Massawa and subsequently converted into a Hospital Ship for the army, named 'Empire Clyde'. At the end of the war she was transferred to the Admiralty. Entering the RFA in 1948 she was renamed Maine. One of her first tasks was to repatriate Australians from Pacific Theatre. She was based at Hong Kong. Maine served in the Korean War where she evacuated more than 13,000 casualties. Scrapped in 1954.

Edited by Humber

Something also related to these posts:

basic Layman's rule of thumb (there is a bucket-full of international regulations covering hospital ships)

1868 - 1949 Hospital ships attached to the military were painted white with a metre wide 'green' band round the hull with red crosses also on the hull and sometimes the funnel.

1868 - 1949 Privately/civilian owned & Neutral countries owned hospital ships were white with a 'red' metre wide band.

1949 new international identification did-away with the bands.

Edited by Humber

• 8 months later...

[attachmentid=30197]

Looks to me like that photo shows our brazen hussy sailing our of Marsamxett Harbour and passing fort Tigne at the tip of Sliema. I could be wrong but methinks not!! :P

Bit late to post on this thread but hey......

Jim