RAC tank driver insignia

Does anyone know the type of insignia a Trooper in the 141st Regt., Royal Armoured Corps might have worn on his BD in France 1944? In particular a tank driver who had something to do with flamethrowers.

Thanks

Tony

Jerry, the flamethrower thing isn't a dead cert but would they have worn a tank badge on the arm or unit insignia? There isn't a single photo of my grandfather in uniform so I'm sort of trying to piece together what his BD blouse may have looked like. The only thing I know is that he carried a revolver.

Tony

Edit: just been checking out online pictures, it seems they wore at least the tank arm badge, Royal Armoured Corps sew on shoulder titles and their parent unit (The Buffs) cap badge.

Edited by Tony

Tony, have you read Flame Thrower by Andrew Wilson MC who was in the 141st Regiment RAC (The Buffs) isbn 0 7041 0042 8 1956 & 1974

The book covers the period 1943 to 1945 and recounts his exprience commanding a flame thrower tank in North West Europe.

Thanks for the link Jerry.

I've managed to find their war diary online but haven't read it yet.It starts at the end of June 44, it would have been good if it started from the 19th which is the day he landed in France.

Tony

Thanks for the link Jerry.

I've managed to find their war diary online but haven't read it yet.It starts at the end of June 44, it would have been good if it started from the 19th which is the day he landed in France.

Tony

It is a good read, I have had my copy for years, ex library 1974 edition. I had to go and check exactly which unit he was with so it was good that it was the same unit as your grandfather, though I assume there were not many such units at the time.

I have a Tank Corps arm badge which I think I'll put with his medals, I might see if I can find a cap badge too although from what I've read so far it would seem they had silvered badges instead of the standard Buffs badge.

Stuart,

I've just got back home and thought I'd give it a go anyway and it worked fine, thanks very much for taking the time to upload it.

I'll have to have another look at the tank arm badge I have as it may be the 1946 type.

Tony